TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Well i picked up a 1990 Supercoupe from a friend with a broken crank, its a 5 speed, well, i want to drop in a 5.0 v8. The question is what will i need? I am going to the junkyard in a couple of weeks to get the block, i am getting the block also off of a 5.0 v8 t-bird around the same year, and rebuild it and supercharge it later on. Well what will be needed from the donor t-bird..

Engine, Wire harness, Brackets, ECM, what else? Thanks.

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
you going carb? if so all you need is the motor, mount top plates

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
engine mounts, power steering lines, a/c lines. get the whole front engine harness, its better , radiator, the year range you want is 91-93 dont forget the accesory brackets either

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am keeping the EFI,
so basically, get the whole harness from the engine bay? all the way to the ecm right?

anything else to look for?

·
Registered
645 Posts
You're also gonna need a clutch, flywheel, and starter from a 92-96 F-150 with a 302 5 speed.

·
Illinois Chapter Director
1,787 Posts
Justin, I have been told that the SC's can not power the fan and fuel pump through the 5.0 harness. Do you know if that's true?

Also, will the tach need to be from a V8. I'm looking for answers to all these questions too:)

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i was pretty sure if you swaped the 2 front harnesses over that it would work. but i am not real sure now that i think about it, i am runnign an s/c dash harness that i moddified and have a fuel pump that runs all the time when the key is on. also you will be emilnating the electric fan circuit by removing the s/c harnesses. todd , how far apart do you have the car? gutted? the tach i am not real sure. i didnt think theywere v6 specfic , if so i have one so my car, 1992 underhood harnesses, 93 s/c dash harness, and 89 rear body harnesses

·
Illinois Chapter Director
1,787 Posts
Justin,

I still have the longblock in the car. All the SC dash wiring is there. The underhood harness has been removed. I still have all the SC wiring as of this week.

I'm going to be swapping the entire rear IRS subframe for another unit that I picked up. After that I'm pulling the motor and starting to drop in the 5.0. H, C, I & shortblock down the road.

Are you running Mustang front accessories?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i am comparing the pins on the 94-95 COBRA, 91-93 5.0 and the 89-93 SC and they all have the same pin numbers for the FUEL PUMPS, both number 8 and 22, so i hope it works!

as for the TACH, i think you will need a v8 tach.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
TydlwavS said:
Justin,

I still have the longblock in the car. All the SC dash wiring is there. The underhood harness has been removed. I still have all the SC wiring as of this week.

I'm going to be swapping the entire rear IRS subframe for another unit that I picked up. After that I'm pulling the motor and starting to drop in the 5.0. H, C, I & shortblock down the road.

Are you running Mustang front accessories?
i am running a 94-95 alt bracket and a stock mn12 powersteering/ac bracket

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so i picked up a whole engine bay harness, all three of them, for 20 bucks with the fuse box :D

now i just need to go back and pull out the whole engine! or atleast the motor mount brackets.

anyone got some motor mount brackets for the 5.0 MN12 91-93 tbirds? thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
so i picked up a whole engine bay harness, all three of them, for 20 bucks with the fuse box :D

now i just need to go back and pull out the whole engine! or atleast the motor mount brackets.

anyone got some motor mount brackets for the 5.0 MN12 91-93 tbirds? thanks
Good luck Ive been looking for stock ones for almost a year. Check out www.turbochuck.com he is making a aftermarket set with poly bushings. I think he wants payment by the 23 though so act fast.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was wondering how your swap is going. I did almost the same thing, bought a 1992 supercoupe with a blown motor, had a built 302/347 stroker, found a same year v8 donar car and made the swap. As you have probably found out to have it all come together and look like Ford made it is alot of work, especially wiring, lots of changes but it can be done and it works great. I also used the supercoupe flywheel, clutch, transmission and driveshaft without any changes, it all botlts up and looks absolutely stock. Good Luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my swap went NOWHERE real fast, yeah i stripped out the cars, sold the block, and well, i am getting away from TBIRDS, i need to get back in school and dont want to be worrying about wether or not my bird will run good, so yeah, it all went nowhere... i sold off all my GT40 stuff and i only have the v8 harness... everything else is going to the scrap yard!

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
my swap went NOWHERE real fast, yeah i stripped out the cars, sold the block, and well, i am getting away from TBIRDS, i need to get back in school and dont want to be worrying about wether or not my bird will run good, so yeah, it all went nowhere... i sold off all my GT40 stuff and i only have the v8 harness... everything else is going to the scrap yard!
sorry thats ignorant behaviour

1 - 20 of 21 Posts