TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna swap out my 4.6 with a 5.0 HO. Will my 4R70W tranny work with it and what accesories(power steering pump, AC) will have to be changed?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Stick with the 4.6, you'll need a new computer and harnesses will be a wiring nightmare. 5.0 is a powerstroke, 4.6 is a modular. And I'm pretty sure tranny won't work either.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've thought about this too. From others posts on the subject, here is what I found:

If you go with a 5.0, get a crate engine from Ford and go with a carburator.

You will need a new tranny. AOD as the 4r70W will not match up.

You will also need: headers, AC, starter, power steering pump etc...

You will most likely need a 'cowl' hood to allow clearance for the carburator.

If I go this route, I pllan to find a reliable, experienced shop, talk through the entire process and all of the needed parts etc.

I know it'll cost an arm and a leg but with the crate engine pumping out 345 HP and my engine and tranny in the sunset of their years, I figure it might just be worth it.

Yea you can get a 99+ 4.6 from a Mustang GT but what you spend to get it up to 300 hp would probably cost you just as much. And you'd want to rebuild or replace your 4R70W with one that can handle the increase in HP.

A recent post had a link to an article on media.ford.com about a 4.6L crate engien from Ford, but it pumps out more than 400HP and will likely cost in the $6K range.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info

Well, with the thought of a tranny swap and all that other stuff...i might as well stick with my 4.6 Thanks for the feedback...TCCOA guys are the best

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
I agree on the carb.. Getting ready to get a holly pro fuel system *lol*

First running lean, changed jets, now i am rich!! ahh!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've already got one carb in my life, I def don't want another... I'll let the computer do the hard work and I'll stick to the driving

1 - 8 of 8 Posts