TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So by reading through all the posts and stuff of what I may want to do about the car, I have come to no real conclusion. I live in Tooele, Utah...(35 miles from Salt Lake, so I haven't found anyone really locally for any support.) Let me first start with what I'm working with. 1995 T-Bird LX 4.6L V8 - Auto tranny with overdrive - and bone stock.

I have 5g as a wedding gift coming to me in mid-February. I can do whatever I want with this money as per my wifey (god bless her) and I want to put a mass majority into the car. I'm not mechanically inclined at all, I do Information Security...I only use my hands to type! The only thing I can figure is starting on the interior with Black Leather seats, front and back. But that's the only real concrete stuff I can think of.

This is what I have come to a conclusion with of what i'm going to persue:

-Leather seats, front and back
-Baer Big brake kit
-18 inch rims due to baer kit

Any other support or options would be helpful, and super appreciated. \

btw- i have looked at the mods for below 500 and still have questions about those.

Thanks!

Dre

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
maintainance!! suspension rebuild, spings/control arms, and pretty much everything that is gonna tear over time. whatever you have left after maintainance give it to me lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Porkchop said:
maintainance!! suspension rebuild, spings/control arms, and pretty much everything that is gonna tear over time. whatever you have left after maintainance give it to me lol
Anyway you can give me a run-down list of what I may need to look into?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
What is the end-result you want to acheive?? Drag strip, nice street setup, road racing, or just a nicely tuned stock daily driver?? That would probably help us guide you in the right direction. For 5K, my wife would never ride in the car again, let alone drive it, lol... It'd be too much for her.

Jay

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FordMan77 said:
What is the end-result you want to acheive?? Drag strip, nice street setup, road racing, or just a nicely tuned stock daily driver?? That would probably help us guide you in the right direction. For 5K, my wife would never ride in the car again, let alone drive it, lol... It'd be too much for her.

Jay
Thanks for asking Jay, I meant to put that in, but just got jittery on it..(sick today at work - I'm Spacing out-) I want a nicely tuned daily driver, that can have some slight fun on occasion.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
check out the 3 degrees sticky at the top... like was stated.. i would get everything like teh suspension and stff rebuilt, and get it running right.. then you have a clean slate to start modding.. you should have a few k left after that.. then you can go mod happy. be sure to look around for your leather seats.. and maybe the mustang hub swapp. so's you can do more with the wheels. good luck on your endeavor.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sinhumane said:
check out the 3 degrees sticky at the top... like was stated.. i would get everything like teh suspension and stff rebuilt, and get it running right.. then you have a clean slate to start modding.. you should have a few k left after that.. then you can go mod happy. be sure to look around for your leather seats.. and maybe the mustang hub swapp. so's you can do more with the wheels. good luck on your endeavor.

I'm writing this all down, thanks for your input. So i can research on the other posts and stuff...

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
andries said:
This is my new car!
A very old one at that. My thought given the circumstances was the same. put it down on a much newer car in better condition!

2nd thought would be buy a really clean '97 Tbird/XR7 in excellent condition with everything stock that you would want then sell the '95 and put that money into the '97 where it needs it...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Southpaw said:
A very old one at that. My thought given the circumstances was the same. put it down on a much newer car in better condition!

2nd thought would be buy a really clean '97 Tbird/XR7 in excellent condition with everything stock that you would want then sell the '95 and put that money into the '97 where it needs it...

Not an option at this point to get a new car.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Well I said newer, that is not a "new" car but another used one. I would spend most of it on the front end rebuild, engine and other unglamorous maintanance it needs and with whatever is left over start thinking about stuff like seats and big brakes and 18" rims.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Southpaw said:
Well I said newer, that is not a "new" car but another used one. I would spend most of it on the front end rebuild, engine and other unglamorous maintanance it needs and with whatever is left over start thinking about stuff like seats and big brakes and 18" rims.
So something around the ends of doing the supercharger upgrade?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Well I don't know what condition yours is in but most I see anymore that are bone stock cars that have been daily driven need lots of work. I was thinking more along the lines of front end rebuild, bushings, control arms, shocks, etc. etc. etc. Engine - vacuum lines, new hoses, everything else it needs to be in top running shape for years to come, new brake lines etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. you know all that crap nobody ever wants to spend their hard earned money on. lol

All that mundane stuff is usually in so-so to downright bad condition on an 11~12 year old car. It starts adding up real fast. Shop time doesn't come cheap either and it doesn't sound like your going to be putting any sweat equity into it...

Sounds like yours is in fine shape and just needs some bling from what your thinking of spending the money on.

edit: btw - personally I'd feel real guilty sinking a 5K wedding gift into an MN12 Tbird/XR7...

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I found a set of 17'' Enkies on here for $500 (with nearly brand new Conti-tracs). Other things like sideskirts, SC rear bumper, gauges, 3.55 TL diff, lowering springs, and new shocks really make it a whole new car. All things I've found here on TCCOA and got great deals on.

If you aren't in a hurry to "invest," let the deals come to you. I found a complete set of SC leather seats in near-mint condition for $200 (took me a year and a half to find a deal, especially where I could pick them up). Let the deals seek you out, that's my advice.

My list:
suspension
brakes (I wouldn't get a huge brake setup if you aren't pushing the car that hard, they're EXPENSIVE!)
drivetrain (trans, diff...depending on what you're using the car for)
basic motor stuff (hoses, valves, sensors, etc)
wheels
custom paint

If you want it to stand out - go for some nice chromes and a unique paint job. Maybe a cowl hood with a 96/97 headlight conversion (easy, but costly).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
conversion02 said:
I found a set of 17'' Enkies on here for $500. Other things like sideskirts, SC rear bumper, gauges, 3.55 TL diff, lowering springs, and new shocks really make it a whole new car. All things I've found here on TCCOA and got great deals on.

If you aren't in a hurry to "invest," let the deals come to you. I found a complete set of SC leather seats in near-mint condition for $200 (took me a year and a half to find a deal, especially where I could pick them up). Let the deals seek you out, that's my advice.

My list:
suspension
brakes (I wouldn't get a huge brake setup if you aren't pushing the car that hard, they're EXPENSIVE!)
drivetrain (trans, diff...depending on what you're using the car for)
basic motor stuff (hoses, valves, sensors, etc)
wheels
custom paint

If you want it to stand out - go for some nice chromes and a unique paint job. Maybe a cowl hood with a 96/97 headlight conversion (easy, but costly).
Yeah - the car is running strong, but it has the ford brake squeel. As part of the deal I got on the car through the dealership I have a 20,000/2 year warranty (whatever comes first) they pay 50% and I pay 50%...which to mean is a good deal for an older car. So I think I should take it back and get them to work on the brake squeel. Also it has a squeeling noise when driving, just like its coming from the same area as the brake squeel from what i can hear..any suggestions?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Honestly?

Put that 5 large into a house.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
DScruggs said:
Honestly?

Put that 5 large into a house.
i have to unfourtantly agree i would do the same , thats alot of coin to dump into a car youll never see the $ out of again, i would do as said though and make this thing 100% new as far as the front and other maintence items, i see you blowing a grand on that. also defintley look for used deals on seats and wheels, much more cost effective, take this from someone who has inadvertly just dumped close to 5g into a engine

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
This is a copy of a post I made in another thread.

It is a list of basic upgrades and things to check on your car.

1. Remove air silencer / clean MAF sensor with MAF spray cleaner
2. Find a RichardM air intake tube or equivalent, and install.
3. Install a 96 or newer tranny fluid pan and filter.
4. Switch over to Mercon V tranny fluid, and install an auxillary tranny cooler.
5. Have the J-Mod done to your tranny.
6. Get a chip from Lonnie at SCT (switch over to cooler plugs and T-stat at this time)
7. Get a Lightning Maf sensor to go with the chip.
8. Install T-Bird Sport springs (spring codes JJJJ or JJEE) , or get some Vogtland 1" drop lowering springs
9. Brake caliper upgrades - many choices.
10. Get an aluminum driveshaft from a 93 Mark8
11. Drain old anti-freeze out and replace with fresh anti-freeze.
12. Go to a junkyard and buy a 97 T-bird center console cover with AC tube, and install.
13. Buy some metal polish and extra fine sandpaper, and clean the yellow crap off of your headlights. Or, send them to BigMike
14. Replace existing headlight bulbs with silverstars.
15. Inspect condition of 3rd brake light bulbs and sockets. If heat damaged, replace with #168 bulbs.
16. Inspect condition of overhead map light bulbs and reflectors. If heat damaged, replace with #168 bulbs.
17. Consider replacing engine with one from a Ford Explorer (2000 or newer? - I think) EDIT: 2002 or newer

Details on all of these ideas can be found by doing searches on the subject.

Visit the Ford Parts Counter forum, and jot down Jason's contact info. He has the best prices on Ford OEM parts.

Also, I can send you a copy of the 95 Ford service CD for free - just PM me with address.

I also have the Helm's (Ford) Shop manual in book form, which you can buy from me for $20 plus shipping. (They are $80 new)

Welcome to TCCoA - and good luck with the car

1 - 20 of 34 Posts