TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am allready planning on the 5.0 cammer in the Mark VIII. They seem to be marketing it as a stand alone motor without electronic engine control. Does this mean goodby MarkVIII computer? I hope not. I'm hoping they will make it a fairly painless bolt in to those vehicles factory equiped with the DOHC.

karl

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know what the price is? I was just assuming it would be priced similarly to other crate engines with similar power. I was originally planning on a doing my current engine but it would take some cash to get it to the 450 hp N/A mark not to mension the only engines I have ever opened were old pushrods.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Kolenich said:
Do you know what the price is? I was just assuming it would be priced similarly to other crate engines with similar power.
you're lookin at about $15k w/computer and wiring harness

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OH Hell! There goes that Idea. Looks like I will be learning how to do my own Modular. That is alot of cash for 450 HP?! I wonder why it would be that much?

Karl

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
It costs so much because:
1. Ford is selling them to street rodders with a ton of money.
2. No one else is making them.
3. No one can figure out the electronics to make a DOHC motor work in an older car.

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
Is it just me or has Ford when completly insane with how much they charge for their performace cars and now perfomance crate engines or heck just about anything they sell. A new 4x4 F150 nicely equipped costes 32k. I'm sorry but a Cobra is not worth the nearly 40k. The lightning is not worth the i think 35K they charge either. Now we gotta deal with a 15k crate engine. They only thing that the OHC Modular engines meen to me is it just costs about 5-10 times more to do any thing or buy a good grate engine to them. Ford has really greedy in the past few years. Not to say they weren't before but it's even worse. I got a 4.6l im my bird and i'm starting to think about buying an old 302 bird and hooking that up. I've been a Ford man all my life.........just like my parents were and i'm really starting to get disgusted. GRanted yes Ford makes some really good stuff but come on normal ppl can't afford this stuff. Unless you are making around 80k a year you aren't going to. It's really not just Ford it's all the americans. Now i know why ricer kids buy hondas...............it's ridiulusly cheap to hook one of those up. Maybe we should all collectivly go to all the Big 3 Amerians and SMACK CEO's around a bit and tell them with what we think.

Just my thoughts on the subject,

Alan

·
Registered
159 Posts
$15,000 sounds like alot of money!:eek: I have an 04' FRPP catalog and it has an 03' Supercharged Cobra motor for only $11,999.95. Thats complete from throttlebody to oil pan it says. That price on the 5.0 crammer has to be wrong?
azreael344- You can get a new Lightning or Cobra for under $35,000.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I'm sorry but a Cobra is not worth the nearly 40k. The lightning is not worth the i think 35K they charge either. Now we gotta deal with a 15k crate engine.
If people will pay 35K for a Cobra then it is priced right. If they linger around then it was too much. Right now you can find one right off the lot for 26-28K. The 15K for the crate engine is right. I've seen DOHC engines in older mustangs, so I'm not sure what's the problem. I have heard that it wasn't easy, but doable.

Russell

1 - 10 of 10 Posts