TCCoA Forums banner

What's your favorite - 5.0L HO or 4.6L ?

• 5.0L HO

Votes: 26 50.0%
  • 4.6L

Votes: 26 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I can't vote on this one, because it all depends on what I'm trying to do with the car. For all out speed, I'd go with the 302, parts are cheaper, and more plentiful, and everything you need is already there. But the 302 has problems of it's own. They can be very oil thirsty, especially when the rear main seal starts leaking, which 90% of them do.

For durability and fuel economy for daily driving, I'd pick the 4.6. The biggest problem I've seen with daily driving is valve seals, which like to leak. But most don't leak, I've got a small leak from the rear seal, but I'm over 140,000 miles. They also have a great reputation for not blowing head gaskets. If Ford would have put a decent tranny behind them from the factory, It would be common for people to have well over 200,000 with no major problems.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
shotgun , is this going in your 86 ? if so , 5.0! since its a foxbody car i would stay with a 5.0 or 351 , you have so many bolton replacements available to you.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Definately the 4.6L. I much prefer the overhead cam motor to a pushrod design. However, as mentioned above, it's application specific. Putting a 4.6L in a Fox solely for performance is not the most cost effective means.

I did, however, see a 1998 Cobra 32v motor in an 86 hatchback run a 12.40 something at HRP at couple of years ago. He had a C4 behind it. Pretty impressive and unique mid 12 run, even if it was expensive. :cool:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
5.0 all the way!!

HUGE aftermarket. Cheap parts. Easy horsepower. Responds well to modifications. No need for a chip or hassling with your computer! And nobody can mistake the awesome sound of the Ford 5.0. Best sounding motor EVER.

To make a 4.6L fast... blower.
To make a 5.0 fast... heads/cam.

Boo ya to all you 4.6 kiddies.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
drivex its a close 2cd the way the 5.0 sounds, have you heard a built 390 or 427? there is absoulty nothing that sound sweeter. well at least 2 me

·
High Output Poster
1,491 Posts
Not this again. Oh well, makes for interesting conversation. Long live the 5.0 because of cheaper modifications.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
My 92 Cougar has a 5.0HO, my 92 Marquis had a 4.6L.

Both are great engines and I enjoy(ed) both, but the 5.0 gets my nod.

They're simply easier and cheaper to mod. That, and the 5.0 does sound better :D!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
id go for a 302 if i wanted cheaper speed.......im a big fan of the 4.6 tho so i voted it tho.....b/c i do like the engine better.....idk why but i do.....ive driven fox body stangs...and ive driven a few birds......both basically either descently moded or stock.....i like the powerband feel of the 4.6 better....if you can get it to rev alot......but the 5.0 is alot more beastly.....and it still has a good powerband....it just doesnt feel as healthy all the way into some higher rpms as the 4.6 to me...

·
Registered
633 Posts
i'll take a 302 anyday. If ford kept the 302 in their vic's, you wouldn't see blue clouds of smoke behind all of them, hear the detonation and rattles, etc. I feel like a ricer because every god damn upgrade is expensive, heeds little gains, and the main way to get serious power is n2o or a blower.

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Hands down, has to be the 302. Alot cheaper to mod due to the fact that there are thousands of aftermarket parts for it. I have both 4.6 and 5.0 Birds and for the money I have in my 5.0 Bird I could maybe get a set of headers and chip for the 4.6 Bird.And I am sure the 92 will walk all over the 4.6.
Just my opinion,
Chris

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Definatley the 5.0 as much as I love my 4.6.

Speaking of which, did the '92 HO 5.0s get the forged pistons that the Mustangs got?

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
351, dont waste your time with no wussy smallblocks....

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
jordansypek said:
351, dont waste your time with no wussy smallblocks....
Uhh.. a 351 is a smallblock.
Didn't you hear the saying, big blocks win all the praises but small blocks win all the races.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts