TCCoA Forums banner

5.0L HO Turbo Build

20K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  seawalkersee 
#1 ·
I'm looking to turbo charge my 5.0L HO with a single turbo. Engine is fairly stock with a few mods such as headers, plugs&wires, port&polished intake. I'm wondering what turbo would be best to use that will spool up quickly and not ruin my engine as this will be my daily driver. Will the stock 5.0L HO handle the power increase and boost? What is the best way to go about this and things I will need? Thanks and all input will be greatly appreciated!

#3 ·
the stock block will take around 500hp safely and those motors are great for boost...i kno turbonetics makes a great kit for those. go to thier website and you should be able to find what your looking for on there...ive had about 8 5.0s myself and all have been boosted just dont put more then 25lbs of boost on it if u intend on driving it daily for a while or ur gonna be doing head gaskets and maybe even a new bottom end...lol :)

#7 · (Edited)
Nobody makes a turbo kit for an MN12 with any motor. The closest mustang 5.0 kit is the one for a 94-95 Mustang, but it won't fit without major rework. Space between shock towers on an MN12 is a lot less than on a Mustang. Everyone who has put a turbo on the cars, had to either build it themselves or hire a shop to do a custom build.

Stock 5.0 HO motor isn't going to handle anything close to 24 pounds...more like 10 pounds while crossing your fingers.

David

#4 ·
Hello......anyone......? Lol
What turbo would be a good choice to use? And I'm planning on only running about 8-10psi so what kind of power gains are realistically expected?

#6 ·
Thanks for the info ironworker! I'll check out the site. As for the build I will be posting pics shortly within the next couple weeks when I start the process.

#9 ·
No there isn't a kit for our MN12's that's why I'm building a custom one. The stock 5.0HO block will split in half if your running anything over 20lbs of boost yes. I'm using a T64 turbo and only running a mere 10lbs so I'm not expecting any crazy HP numbers. 425-450 HP will be more than enough to satisfy me and probably enough to get me into some trouble lol. It will be my daily driver so I'm not going to insane, I want to keep my engine in one piece and drive it for a while.

#12 ·
I know they make kits for 5.0 Mustangs and so do several other companies. Original poster has a 91 Cougar with a 5.0 HO which is not a Fox body..it's an MN12 and the Fox body kit won't even come close to working on his car.

David

#15 ·
Now now guys lol. It's all good info and I'm fabricating the whole kit myself so I can keep most of my accesorys. I will be removing my a/c and belt driven fan. I'll be using dual electric fans for better cooling as well as an intercooler. Should give me a decent amount of space once that massive belt driven fan is out of there lol

#21 · (Edited)
Danny,

You can buy the Fast XFI standalone at numerous places. I got mine from the Race Shop who did the installation of the standalone system. Which is the same place who has redone most of the turbo system, tunes the car and built the stainless exhaust systems for both of my SCs. Here's is a link to the shop. The owner's name is Dan Saitz.

http://www.hyperformanceracing.com/

David

The other popular standalone engine managment system (GM based) is called "Big Stuff 3" and Dan call also supply it.

#22 ·
thanks alot dave i really apreciate it. i think im ordering my long block next week so i start with something blueprinted either that or im gonna go part by part....im a licensed pa tech for emissions and inspections nd have built all myn other blocks but was thinkin of getting a shop to do thisone since im gonna shoot alot of boost through it...idk yet but thanks for taking the time to help me out!!!

#23 ·
Danny,

If you want a super strong foundation that is professionally assembled, Dart Machinery is now offering short blocks based on numerous blocks they offer.

http://www.dartheads.com/products/short-block-assemblies/the-dart-short-block-builder.html

For a 302 based motor you would use the 8.2" deck Iron Eagle or Sportsman block (I got the stronger Iron Eagle version which is overkill). I imagine you can have it built in numerous configurations like 302, 331, 347 and 363 CID. Suggest dished pistons and not going any higher than 9.00:1 static compression. Then you just need to select the cam, heads, valvetrain, intake, timing set ect... The most important portion of the engine build happens when building the short block. Most of the other stuff, is just bolted together.

David

#27 ·
As far as the OD goes, you will not really need it if you go with a 400 or a glide. Since you will no doubt step down to a 3.27 gear to make the engine work to build boost. Typically, you will see the turbo cars with lower (numerically) gears for that reason.

SWS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.