TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '95 bird with a shot 4.6. I have already tried to install used 4.6's into it twice, but both times the motors were knocking so I had to return them. In my driveway, I have a wrecked '93 bird with a good 5.0. Since the computer is mounted in the engine bay, is it possible that the wires going through the firewall are the same on both cars? It sure would be nice to drop the 5.0 into the newer car since I already have it.
Has anyone out there done this? I would prefer to find another 4.6 but I am tired of searching and I want to get this car on the road. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I was considering doing it to my car, until I decided I would be better off just buying another car with a 5.0 already (or a 5.8 Torino [smiles]). The hardest things I thought of about changing the engines would be, first of all, the computer for the 5.0 would be expecting a mechanical tranny, but mine has an electronic one. You already have an A40D in the 5.0 car it seems, or you could rig up a computer from a 94 or 95 Mustang if you want to keep the 4R70W. (I would just put in a manual tranny.) Also, you'll have to rig up the electric fan, if you want to keep it, but that's not terribly difficult. Also, I think the AC compressor for the 5.0 is on the opposite side of the engine, so you'd need one of those, which you may already have on the other engine. I was told other than the compressor, it's mostly the same. That's all I can remember right now. I'd like to know how it goes if you go through with it.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kenshi said:
I was considering doing it to my car, until I decided I would be better off just buying another car with a 5.0 already (or a 5.8 Torino [smiles]).
Like I said, I already have a '95 bird that is emaculate. I don't see any reason to get rid of it or waste my money on another car.

Palmguy said:
He couldn't keep his 4.6 4R70W behind a 5.0. Different bellhousing.
I was planning to use the overdrive from the '93.

L33TX43RT said:
Get a '91-'93 V8...
I already have a '93 V8. It's what I want to use.

I appreciate everyone's input. However, all I want to know is if I take all the wiring from the front of the '93 and unplug the large circular plug in the firewall and transfer it to the '95, will my gauges, key, etc. still work? I already plan to take EVERYTHING out of the engine bay of the '93 model to use. Does anyone know?

·
8,239 Posts
the 5.0 cars have a aod transmission.

You can either revert to that or get a 3.8/5.0 4r70w, Josh (okcbird) has done this.

I would say just get a 02 explorer motor for 900 bucks and be done with it. It will make more power and you will be happier.

JH

·
Registered
975 Posts
tinman_72 said:
I appreciate everyone's input. However, all I want to know is if I take all the wiring from the front of the '93 and unplug the large circular plug in the firewall and transfer it to the '95, will my gauges, key, etc. still work? I already plan to take EVERYTHING out of the engine bay of the '93 model to use. Does anyone know?
I really don't know any reason the plug on the driver's side would be different. I don't really know of any differences in the gauges or ignition or anything except in '97, but I bet even then it's only different in the gauges themselves, not the senders or wires. Really, I don't know. I just figured I'd bring attention to the question you really wanted aswered so maybe someone else could answer.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Well one major difference is that a 93 5.0 would be EEC IV not V so don't expect any of the pinouts to be the same. FWIW buy a GOOD used 4.6 say a 02 explorer motor from greenleaf that comes with a 6 month warantee and don't look back. It sounds like you were looking at the wrong sources for a replacement motor

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
timb said:
Well one major difference is that a 93 5.0 would be EEC IV not V so don't expect any of the pinouts to be the same. FWIW buy a GOOD used 4.6 say a 02 explorer motor from greenleaf that comes with a 6 month warantee and don't look back. It sounds like you were looking at the wrong sources for a replacement motor
Okay, now I am intrigued by the '02 Explorer idea. Two mentions in one thread makes it worth looking into. A few questions:

1. How hard would this swap be? I can do an engine replacement and even a rebuild, but I am not very experienced in modifying wiring harnesses etc. I would have no trouble if it is a matter of moving the computer and harness over from another vehicle if I don't have to get into the dash.

2. How do I contact greenleaf? (Doing a search on Google give too many results.)

3. Do they usually sell the complete motor along with the wiring harness, computer, and MAF?

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
tinman_72 said:

Okay, now I am intrigued by the '02 Explorer idea. Two mentions in one thread makes it worth looking into. A few questions:

1. How hard would this swap be? I can do an engine replacement and even a rebuild, but I am not very experienced in modifying wiring harnesses etc. I would have no trouble if it is a matter of moving the computer and harness over from another vehicle if I don't have to get into the dash.

2. How do I contact greenleaf? (Doing a search on Google give too many results.)

3. Do they usually sell the complete motor along with the wiring harness, computer, and MAF?
1. Not too bad. Every single one of us who has started has been successful, most in part to the pioneering efforts and knowledge of the first few.

3. Yes, no, and no. You'll need the wiring harness, but you don't need the computer nor the MAF. You use your stock computer (and harness for that matter, you only need the new one for some various connectors). Your stock MAF works fine.

With the existing knowledge base here on TCCoA just about every question regarding the Explorer swap has been asked and answered...so luckily for those interested they can find anything they want to know about it here.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
If you're interested in a 5.0 (and have bigger plans for later on), go with the Explorer 5.0 (98 - 2000) and harness so that you will have EEC V. You have alot more datalogging capabilities, etc with the EEC V than you do with the EEC IV. I did my 4R70W swap into my 5.0 for "ease" of sticking with EEC IV wiring.

-J

1 - 13 of 13 Posts