TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never seen anyone post anything about it and just wondered if everyone else heard about it. A bunch of people around here said it woke them up, but I slept right thru it.

WEST SALEM, Ill. (AP) -- Seismologists say at least 11 aftershocks have been reported in Illinois since a 5.2 magnitude quake startled residents from Milwaukee to Atlanta.

The temblor at 4:37 a.m. Friday was centered near the community of West Salem and caused skyscrapers in Chicago -- about 230 miles away -- to shake.

No injuries or significant damage have been reported.

The U.S. Geological Survey reported four smaller quakes Saturday in southern Illinois, including two 2.8 magnitude near Bellmont and a 1.3 magnitude near Mount Carmel.

Seven aftershocks were reported on Friday. The biggest was a 4.6 magnitude near Bellmont.
Whole story

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2008/04/18/news/doc4808722f29767990030121.txt

C.Hill

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
yep read about ... Very weid feeling for the ground moving under your feet. Been there done that :leftright

·
Registered
73 Posts
it definetly woke me up @ 445 am or so.. felt the second earthquake(4.6 aftershock) as well.. crazy.. the epicenter was about 2hrs away from me..

·
Registered
518 Posts
I slept right on through it. Heard about it on the radio when I got to work that day. Of course I can sleep through anything so it didn't surprise me a bit.

·
Super Moderator
10,665 Posts
This actually woke me up, and some others I know, all the way down here.

I don't normally wake up around then (~20 till 6 our time); I thought someone was trying to break in or something...I walked the house over, and went back to bed.

I heard about it later, and realized what woke me up; I probably wouldn't have remembered if I hadn't got up and walked around.

Harriman is a long way from Illinois...

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
My mom lives 16 miles NE of Vincennes in Oaktown. She said she just figured it was a train derailing... Her place is about 20' from the tracks!!!! :beek:

I talked to her this AM and she said she could feel the rumblings over the weekend.

She didn't know of any damage, thank goodness.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
ya i slept through it but during the 4.2 aftershock at 10:14 i was sitting on my couch and i heard this cracking noise in the walls of my apartment then the couch was shaking. first earthquake ive ever experienced. but since i wasnt born till 1988 i thought we just never got them. thats why i thought my wife was crazy when i woke up and she said there was an earthquake

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
That was an interesting morning.

My fiancee said, "Is that the dog doing that?" and I said, "No honey, that's an earthquake." So she rolled over and went back to sleep.

We felt it pretty good just south of Indianapolis.

LOL

Darrin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts