TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched a few forums and could not find an answer to this. It's probably a stupid question, but I have come across a free set of bare 3V 5.4L heads and an intake manifold from a 4.6L 3V...if I get the rest of the top end and an updated fuel delivery system would a head swap be feasible on a '95 4.6? The heads will probably just sit in my closet for a long time anyway and I know the intake manifold won't fit under my hood, but I'm still curious. I have no experience with the 3V or the 5.4L motors.

Oh, and yes, I know it would be easier and smarter to do a PI swap...but you can't turn down free stuff.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Well you could always delete the CMC plates, and disable the VCT. Put on a TB adapter and find a set of 3v headers/manifolds that will work. Everything else should be pretty straight forward.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
After having said that are you positive they will bolt to a 94 block and all the coolant passages etc line up???? Maybe they do I don't know but you stated that like you have done it before.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I know a DOHC 4.6L heads don't "easily" work on a SOHC block (timing tensioner issues), so I can only guess at the nightmare of installing 3V heads!! :beek:

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
timb said:
After having said that are you positive they will bolt to a 94 block and all the coolant passages etc line up???? Maybe they do I don't know but you stated that like you have done it before.
I haven't. Others have, the block is the same.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i'm not sure how feasible it is in a mn, but the heads outflow 2v.

(jdm,livernois) ~282cfm intake, ~170 ex.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GreenBird said:
Well you could always delete the CMC plates, and disable the VCT. Put on a TB adapter and find a set of 3v headers/manifolds that will work. Everything else should be pretty straight forward.
That's what I was hoping for.

timb said:
The coolant passages and timing tensioners are my main concern.

Thanks a lot guys, I'll probably hold on to the heads for a while and investigate it some more. I'll try to get a good look at the head gaskets for both engines at a parts store to see about the coolant passages.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The simplest way is just to get a whole 3v motor and wiring/compter and swap everything in leave no tbird electronices. Coares you probably wouldn't get a HVAC system to work correctly and guages is another issue plus abs but i bet with manual brakes and no ac it could be done.

Will

1 - 11 of 11 Posts