TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice would be appreciated. I've got a 97tird with the 4.6 and a 5.4 4v from a Navigator is going in with a Sullivan Intake. My question is what can be done about the computer and harness besides running a F.A.S.T system. Also has anyone tried the Sanderson 4v headers in these type cars. Going to try to attach pictures of progress, motor is already out and powdercoating is done on the intake and valve/coil covers. I found a good guy at Precision Mustang Performance in Forney, Tx. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=160664494101997&set=pb.100004753415722.-2207520000.1368765413.&type=3&src=https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/466580_160664494101997_500060708_o.jpg&smallsrc=https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/935441_160664494101997_500060708_n.jpg&size=1280,960

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
oohhh another one...

what exactly do you mean "what can be done about the computer"? what's wrong with yours? Do you not know how to make it work? Or is there something specific troubling your install with it?

BTW, any response for this Q from your previous thread?: http://forums.tccoa.com/showpost.php?p=1466729&postcount=8

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Your stock computer should be able to be tuned for this motor.

·
Registered
518 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,319 Posts
And I don't think firescout211 ever finished. Last I heard he was supposedly building up that thing with a Vortech etc. but a few weeks ago he was selling one off. Hmmm... makes you wonder....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maestro sorry for the late response. The first guy I had helping me was a crook and got me to buy alot of parts I didn't need. I know I need to use the oil pan from 4.6 and some of the baffles have to be bent or removed, and spacers put on the engine mounts. I will know in a few days if I can use the Sanderson headers or just use some stock ones, I will be adding a turbo down the road so stock/log headers would be fine to. Can my stock computer work running the individuals coils already on the 4v or do I have to use the coil packs and fab up new brackets to hold them. Pretty sure I will have to use a brake booster from an earlier bird so it will fit without denting it. I've waited over four years now trying to find a shop in the DFW area that didnt want my first born to help me out with this swap.

·
Super Moderator
12,088 Posts
Talk to Sik97Bird. He's a mechanic and a Tbird guy and can help you. He's up in Frisco.

You can send him a PM. I'll contact him and see if I can pass his number along to you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got this motor for $400 and upon tear down it looks like it was hardly driven. I also have the last sullivan intake with the water cross over already in it.

Thanks Monkey. If he's in Frisco he probably knows my guy, he was at Dallas Mustang and opened his own shop a while back.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Sullivan works great at 7000rpm, but like crap below that. The stock cams will not work well with the Sullivan as they are spec'd for power below 4000rpm. You will not find headers to fit and without headers the power will be terrible. The stock computer will drive the COPs so you must use the 4.6 ignition setup.

The best intake manifold options are the cobra/mach intakes with adapters as they will make power where it needs to be made.

Also, there will be some fitment issues...well many issues actually.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cam swap and bottom end rebuild will be done further down the road, we just want it running down the road first then worry about making big steam later. Any other fitment issues other than the ones I've listed. I know headers are an issue thats why I asked if anyone had tried the Sanderson headers they are "block huggers" for a '32 with a 4v swap.

·
Super Moderator
9,319 Posts
Did you look at the thread white 97 lx linked to? Frame rails, shock towers, and a hood to name a few...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I looked at that and he was using kooks, I havent said anything about the kooks headers tha'ts why I was asking about the Sanderson headers. The shock towers were'nt cut originally on that thread and supercoupeperformance.com has a hood that will work

·
Super Moderator
9,319 Posts

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Maestro sorry for the late response. The first guy I had helping me was a crook and got me to buy alot of parts I didn't need. I know I need to use the oil pan from 4.6 and some of the baffles have to be bent or removed, and spacers put on the engine mounts. I will know in a few days if I can use the Sanderson headers or just use some stock ones, I will be adding a turbo down the road so stock/log headers would be fine to. Can my stock computer work running the individuals coils already on the 4v or do I have to use the coil packs and fab up new brackets to hold them. Pretty sure I will have to use a brake booster from an earlier bird so it will fit without denting it. I've waited over four years now trying to find a shop in the DFW area that didnt want my first born to help me out with this swap.
Your stock computer can fire COP coils in the same way I did that write up nearly 8 yes ago. Search for it. Or you can use spark plug wires, its up to you.

4 years trying to find a shop? You could have learned how to cut/fabricate/weld steel yourself in four years in you were serious......

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your stock computer can fire COP coils in the same way I did that write up nearly 8 yes ago. Search for it. Or you can use spark plug wires, its up to you.

4 years trying to find a shop? You could have learned how to cut/fabricate/weld steel yourself in four years in you were serious......
Yes I could have learned but that would mean the wife doesnt park in the garage, and happy wife happy life. The guy that was supposed to do the swap for me never did anything, when I had remodeled his bathroom and a bunch of other stuff in trade for his labor. I'm thrilled with the guys at Precision doing the work. Oil pan from the 4.6 modified to go on the 5.4 today and test fitting the motor will happen shortly. Cutting the shock towers I can deal with, but I wont cut the frame rails.

·
Super Moderator
9,319 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Yes I could have learned but that would mean the wife doesnt park in the garage, and happy wife happy life. The guy that was supposed to do the swap for me never did anything, when I had remodeled his bathroom and a bunch of other stuff in trade for his labor. I'm thrilled with the guys at Precision doing the work. Oil pan from the 4.6 modified to go on the 5.4 today and test fitting the motor will happen shortly. Cutting the shock towers I can deal with, but I wont cut the frame rails.
You don't need a garage to learn that stuff. I don't got a garage. Either way, good luck man.

·
Super Moderator
17,054 Posts
I think you're the most sane person to attempt this swap yet. :D
The frame rail hackage is purely because people keep trying to run kooks which are almost too wide for a 4.6 car. Manifolds or modified Mustang headers would probably do much better to alleviate clearance issues since they hug the engine better. 5.4 2Vs prove this as the heads are no wider on the exhaust side and those fit ok in multiple running vehicles

1 - 20 of 188 Posts