TCCoA Forums banner
161 - 180 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ah, ok the Sullivan on a 4.6 kills the low end power, gotcha. Yes I met Jason at MIR last year. Nice of you to remember. I'll be running my M/T street ets next time. I should gain a couple of tenths. Happy building!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Good to hear Falconstein, are you making that power with the stock Navi cams? Great to hear some positive feedback from that Navi crowd!

·
Registered
17 Posts
sorry, didn't mean to hijack this post. I'll start one for the interested folks. I have two MK VIII's That I am working on. not just the 54. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,624 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Sullivan does kill torque on both the 4.6 and 5.4. However, the 5.4 has enough CI that it still make more than a stock 4.6 even with the single plane intake manifold. Installing a cobra/mach 1 intake would add more power than you can imagine under 5000rpm. That intake alone would probably have your car running 13.0 or even high 12s.

The navi cams are the same as those in the 03/04 Cobra, Marauder, Aviator and Mach 1; very mild in 4.6 and even more so in a 5.4. These would be the reason that the tq suffered little with the Sullivan, but also why the peak power suffers.

If building a 5.4 4v for a street car that is staying under 7000rpm, the 99-04 heads would be the best option by far.

·
Is something burning?..
712 Posts
I just want to see a triton 5.4 in a tbird, because I don't EVEN believe thats right. Maybe I need to find the thread about the most ghetto things done to a bird again xD

·
Registered
81 Posts
Somebody already did that, I think their are videos of it on youtube still. I think he is mentioned earlier in this thread.

na are you talking about a cut and welded cobra/mach 1, and how much more power would it make than the sullivan?

·
Super Moderator
11,415 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
with the short runners I do understand and agree it is better at higher rpm. My thoughts are there is more usable torque if it were a dual plane intake. But I have never seen any real tq/hp numbers with what you describe, cobra intake/ heads. there is also a big port mismatch with the cobra intake on a Navi head witch can negate any theoretical gains. Do you have any data on this other combo? even with the adapter plates for a 302 performer intake? I only have seen pictures no dyno or track data.

·
Super Moderator
11,415 Posts
I saw a post about the 302 manifold in passing, searching something else; with our limited room, and aluminum blocks being cheap, I'll be staying with a 4.6; y'all can spend your cash however you see fit. :)

I just want to see one in properly and run well; dyno sheets and 1/4 mile times are gravy.

:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
found a horse power calculator, with my et 13.62 @ 100mph, 4000lb with me in it, I get 312hp at the rear wheels. not to shabby considering Navi's were rated at 305hp at the crank. I'd be interested in hearing about a 5.4 with Cobra intake and heads works out, sounds like it would be a stump puller. keep me posted :)

161 - 180 of 196 Posts