TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will one fit? what is the width of the motor and what is the width of our shock towers. also, would the 4.6 DOHC headers fit? squirrels are running in my head and now i'm curious.

Wiz

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
IMHO, 5.4s are a waste. More stroke is the last thing we need. You want a unique hi-po engine? get a big bore shortblock from VT.

A 5.4L SOHC fits. Some people claim a DOHC is wider, some say it's the same. either way, it would be a VERY tight fit. You'd probablt have to remove the motor to get the valve covers off.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I once had an old racer tell me "who gives a **** about horsepower, torque is what gets you down the road". but like you said, that is your opinion and i'm trying to find something different for my next car.

Wiz

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with GreenBird on this one. An engine with longer stroke isn't going to be able to rev as high, and at the same time, you will sacrafice horsepower. You would be better off staying with the 4.6.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
jarends00 said:
I once had an old racer tell me "who gives a **** about horsepower, torque is what gets you down the road". but like you said, that is your opinion and i'm trying to find something different for my next car.

Wiz
i thought torque is what gets ya off the line, and HP is what gets ya down the road?:confused: :D

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
HP is what sells the car... Torque is what moves it..

direct quote from Ferrari... :D

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sonna*****.....good catch GM....it was late, i was tired, and i still screwed the pooch on it. ANYWAYS....how bout it guys, let's drop the opinions to the side for now and let's get down to cold hard facts about widths and stuff like that.

Wiz

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The 5.4 DOHC is approx. 30 inches wide ... pretty sure that's not going to fit between the shock towers of an MN-12 car. Look how tight a 4.6 DOHC is. The 5.4 is another 1-1/2" wider.

cheers,
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Guys have put SOHC 5.4L's in them before. On 4.6L's I have read everything from the DOHC being narrower to it being wider, the FRPP catalog says its wider by 3/8" though. Can't say on the 5.4L's though. It takes a lot of work to put in a 5.4, I believe you have to modify the shock towers. Then you have to make the engine and trans work together by the way they talk about it. The guys who have done it, don't recommend that others do it. Do a search, you will turn up some info.

NOTE: 3.8" was changed to 3/8", that is one big typo!

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
With more effort a 5.4L can put out the same HP numbers as a 4.6L. The difference is that the 5.4L has more torque. Friction only comes into play in high RPM applications. Unless you are building a dedicated drag racer your engine does not operate in this range. Everything else is BS!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
1.) the 5.4 sohc has 1/8 to 3/16'' clearance on the pass side shock twr, and about the same on the brake resivoir on the drivers side of a bird ....not much to work with .
2.) the 4valve , dohc 4.6 engine is a tad wider than the sohc iteration....
3.) by inference, the dohc version is a tad wider than the sohc version of the 5.4
4.) there are absolutely no "tads" to spare, so forget the dohc 5.4, unless you are ready to structurally alter the pass. side shock tower and brake vac resivior...
5.)biggest prob is height tho, and unless youre up to fabricating a new Intake manifold, its simply too high to see around....
Torque actually is a problem with a good running 5.4....Spun my tires at the track till it shifted into 2nd , and pulled a 16.35...Next launch was at no more than half throttle, turned 13.95, at 98.49 mph, and got banned till I go and buy a helmet.
I suppose I could do better with some sort of slick, but my car is a daily driver, and still being developed... (crappy long runner intake off a F-150, and cats with 188k on them)
I wouldnt recommend the conversion to anyone, as it actually is a PITA to get done, and there is a lot we still have to figure out, but its my last project car, and I will 'stay the course ' for another year , at which time I will not be running at any dragstrips as I'll be too old (65), and want to quit while still ahead....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts