TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on the tech's about the 5.4 swap... Im lookin for a engine to buy and slowly build up while my 4.6 slowly dies. So I saw this about the 5.4 and it seems really (Relatively) easy...

Is there a hiden trick somewhere? I would love to have some more torque to this thing.

also, if I were to look for a used 5.4 what car would be the best to look for? F150? Navigator? Lightening? <------(ok im joking)

MG :D

·
Only you can prevent modular fires
1,446 Posts
4.6s never die they just smoke a lot and end up in taxis!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Great Obucina said:
there is a toolbar at the top of your screen and a feature called search...check it out, its quite magical.

joseph

thanks, never crossed my mind :rolleyes:

I did a search for many things 5.4.

anyway, if no one is interested in talking about it, thats fine.

MG

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, searched again....

Not much... I just find the same guys saying "its harder than it looks, it takes forever to get it to work right.)

Im not finding out any info on, what to start collecting, hints/tips with install, power to be expected, space in the engine, is it worth it...........

im not finding much at all in the searches...

MG

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
If you're still interested in a swap, I know where there is a VERY low mileage (<1000) 3-valve 04 F-150 truck engine just waiting for someone to buy and use.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
After perusing j.millers site here, if you still are interested, E-mail me at [email protected] ... and I will send you a bunch of things I have written up on my efforts over the last three years, truth, half truths and observations regarding getting the conversion to work/ run well (almost there)..
If you are up to changeing out a engine / tranny by yourself , It is doable... if not and you dont have some verry good friends who can help, you will need to throw lotsa money at it... its tuneable, but there have been some problems... all depends how and when you wanna do it...
jake

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
talk to Lelland Jackobson. He did a 5.4 swap with a powerdyne supercharger and has a LOT of info on the 5.4. He'll e-mail you tons of technical stuff that would be very helpful.
-Thomas

·
Registered
921 Posts
truth! I have a little over 100 e-mails of stuff he and i have been discussing regarding the swap and how to improve on it. mostly it's his experiences and believe me, he has plenty!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I dunno about the DOHC not fitting though. I've seen some test fitment pictures that show it will, but it's a TIGHT squeeze. Lets put it this way, you can't put the motor in with a cherry picker, you have to drop the k-member. Maybe the Mark VIII's are different enough that they have a little more room to work though?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Hey! what do I know? Iam a sailor..... The difference between a fairy tale and a sea story; .....One starts out "Once upon a time" ;) .... The other, "Now this is no
sh!t"..... :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well, then again, I'm probably going to end up building a custom sheetmetal intake and....wops...I might have said to much.....

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
wouldnt it be easier to stroke the 4.6 to a 5.4 so you wouldnt need a huge hood and such things to fit it?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Not if I do it right. I'll be doing most of the fabrication myself, so that will save some cost. Whatever I can't fabricate I will be either drawing it in CAD and sending it out or bild a model and tell 'em to duplicate it.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
as this thread winds its way .... HPS is working on a loprofile.sohc,5.4 intake and j dot miller is considering a different approach to the 95 4.6 intake into a 5.4, with sheet metal lower plenum... eminently do able, should end up with 10" runners, or perhaps a bit less, which is desireable with a 5.4 ... until one of those occurrs the outrageous hood height will remain an issue that prohibits making power .

·
Registered
191 Posts
I guess my plan (with a DOHC) was to build an intake similar to the 96-98 Cobra's with a large plenum that will go way down into the block and fabricate some runners most likely by sand casting similar to what the guys who mod the 93-96 Mark VIII intakes do. theoretically, it should work great....but that remains to be seen.

I also have plans to build a custom hood to make my application work the way I want it to, I'm just trying to figure out if the "scoop" I want is available without the hood.

I forsee this being a project that will be finished sometime 3 years from now if that helps at all. Not to mention, if everything works as planned, the front end of my mark should be one of the meanest looking ones I have ever seen...

·
Registered
789 Posts
Capt. Jake, since when is hood height a problem for you? Just kidding.

1 - 20 of 255 Posts