TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im intending on putting a triton 5.4 engine in my car which is a 94. ivrve rea dthe tech article and was wondering what else i would have to do to make this fit in my car. Im not sur eof the year yet but i have a few questions along the line.
Sine u must swap the intake out of the 5.4 to the 4.6 to get enoguh clearence what year would or should i put o nthere. Also what type of heads are better.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Ford DrVr 86 said:
im intending on putting a triton 5.4 engine in my car which is a 94. ivrve rea dthe tech article and was wondering what else i would have to do to make this fit in my car. Im not sur eof the year yet but i have a few questions along the line.
Sine u must swap the intake out of the 5.4 to the 4.6 to get enoguh clearence what year would or should i put o nthere. Also what type of heads are better.
Boy that was difficult to read.
Please check your spelling/typing & preview your post/reply before submitting.

The 5.4 swap has been discussed here many times.
Here are a few threads you might want to read through.
Food for thought
The 5.4 Triton Swap
5.4 or 4.6
thinking about the 5.4

Remember, the :search: function is a friend to all.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Heres the deal on the swap. Alot of people will tell you its really hard but its not that bad. I think Livernois motorsports sells addapter plates for the 4.6L intake to bolt onto the 5.4L so you pi inatke will bolt right up. Next there is almost no clearence between the valve cover and the body so headers need to be bolted up first. Motor mounts bolt right up and everything else bolts up pretty much the block is the same except for the deck hieght which is approx 2" higher. Exhaust is no problem really. trans bolts right up and torque converter i dont know. The opnly hard part is the computer. The computer will cause lots of problems so definatly take it to get a dyno tune and even then it might take a while before it runs right. Thats it not really all that hard at all. Pretty sure all the wiring is the same the heads are mustang heads if its a 2001 or up even if not there still the same heasds minus valve covers. So with the heads and intake basicly you have the top of a mustang motor so its a pi swap. Thats all good luck.

Will

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
its not that bad? how many have you done? I've only done 1 two years ago, and still trying to get everything right... J.Miller has done two (worlds expert now), and he will not tell you its easy... the motor mounts DO NOT "fit, and bolt right up".... there is a he11 of a lotta grinding on the engine, and the mounts to make them fit... the tune... there are maybe 2 or 3 tuners that can and will burn you a chip that runs right, and those guys arent the cats meow of this site, but are hard to find custom tuners, who arent looking for mass marketing 4.6 profits......your other option is to switch the whole harness and ECU to a truck system, but thats expensive and requires an extrordinary knowledge of Ford wiring and electronics, and the patience of Job, Like Mark Phillips...He also took apart a Bullit manifold and restructured it to fit the 5.4, but the plenum may be a bit tight, and i am not too sure how successful that was..J,Miller Has done his own tune, with just a little help from other tuners, and is running ok after a real lotta development work on his part .The original swapper, V-8 Thunder, ended up with a complete stand alone eec which may be best described as an Alpha-N system, but you dont wanna go there...I finally got lucky and found Dennis Ramsey in Tampa , who was willing to put in the time and effort to make mine run right after allmost two years and lots of chips in the trash... There are a couple guys running the "frankenstein'' 94-95 manifold with one side longer than the other, but that has also some drawbacks, and is kinda stingy in the lower plenum for the engines size, plus uneven runner length.... there are a lotta isues that pop up as well and each of us has coped differently...the 5.4 adapter plates by Dan Simmons are avail. , maybe, but the xtra 3/4" depth of the injector port makes a questionable spray pattern, so they may not be the best solution either... then theres all the people that say you cant make real power with a 5.4, and go on to rev the 4.6 waaaay up... You gotta realize this,(the 5.4) is a torque engine first and foremost , and really isnt suitable beyond about 5700 rpm or so.... It actually makes no sense to over rev a 5.4 as the heads are the same as a 4.6, therefore dont accommodate an extra 18 percent volume through as high a band , all things being equal....I just got through modifying my F-150 intake today, and picked up 4 peak Hp, and 18.6 average horsepower... plus a gob of torque(I don't know why tho'), but theres no manual or set of instructions to tell you how do this, so lotsa luck...... Plus I have an awful tall, and wierd hood...

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Yeah, it may be hard but I think it's damn cool. I wish I was able to have the 'Bird down for a few months to do this to it. Maybe once it's retired from daily driver status?:cool:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Leland
The reason i say the swap isn't hard is that its the same more or less as a cobra swap which i have done. I mean this in the sense that both motor were never intended to be in abird and both pose interesting wiring and mouting problems. As far as motor mounts if there a problem which someone who did the swap told me they weren't then just break out the welder. Worst case you have to crank up the welder to the highest "level" and use really thick plate. MOtor mounts aren't like a cyliner head you can fab them dirt easy. As far as intakes go there seems to be alot of debate as what to use and how to use it, but i was personally looking at the adapter plates. As far as injector spray pattern well wheather its good or bad i dont know but it only takes a couple of nano seconds to spray and get into the cylinder any way so who knows. Finally as far as tuning my suggestion would be to take it to a dyno tune shop and have them just smooth out the air fuel ratio and change some peramiters. If you can build a stoker motor, the 5.1L i am talking about, then i am sure you could get a 5.4L to work. Remeber all thats different with this engine versus say a pi motor is the displacement(maybe a sensor or two i dont know.) BUt if one did the pi swap on a stock 97 say then you would basicly have a 99 mustang engine. NOw throw that whole top end on a stroker motor that has 5.1L of displacement. NOw how is putting a 5.4l truck engine, with the top end of a mustang in any different then doing a pi swap and throwing in a 5.1L strocker? I am not saying you dont know what your talking about but i just dont understand why everyoone says tuning is such a stumbling point. Or that this swap is so difficult. I am an mechanical engineering student so these things aren't all that difficult to fab for me. I dont know what you do or if this is just a hobby to you but i am an egineer in training and problem soolving is one of my strong points. I am not insulting you i just want you to know where i am coming from. Thanks for reading and feel free to point out where i have made any misassumptions.

Will

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sorry about the few grammar errors i was typing outside and its hard to see the screen sometimes, that and i have my own ways of "speaking" that may be unfamilar to you. By the way i hope the two was intended.

Will

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well, mechman, there are also lots of other details like dimpling the frame, and grinding the exh. manifolds to get clearance, dimpling (actually wanging the crap out of...)the power break resivoir to clear the drivers side valve cover, and figureing out how to control the torque enuff to not destroy the pass side valve cover with its barely 1/8" clearance, and lots of things like fabbing and bending a stainless egr pipe from the right hand side manifold to the left side position on the F-150 manifold I chose to use.... the list goes on , and as far as a tune is concerned, do-able ,but dont expect ''jerrys kids" to do it cause he said you cant make power with a 5.4 due to internal friction , so thats not a viable resource for tuneing 5.4 liter motors, period...There are people who can and will burn you a chip, but the really good ones are few and far between, and it will cost a few bucks more... as for my background...I am a retired Merchant Marine Officer, having served as master on two ships during Desert Storm, and have a working knowledge of diesel ships engines up to 30,000 shaft horsepower, and steam turbine plants up to 60,000 shaft horsepower... with specialized training in Gyro compasses, marine electronics, radar and almost all ships systems (you cannot even touch the throttle on the bridge of an unlimited class Diesel ship before completeing specilized , approved training) but no, I am not an engineer, but I have told a few engineers what to do, and how to do it, and where to go...I also had prof. help putting in my engine, as I have the run of the local speed shop, and wouldnt presume to tell the owner his business in many areas, but when i was told this or that just couldnt be done, I darn well did it myself, and naaah! it wasnt easy, but it got done, and obviously is do-able after a fashion, but advising the average tinkerer that its simple or easy is not exactly the best thing you can do... to have it all done professionally costs a bundle as I have heard... there are guys out there that can do it, some who cant, and the results are kinda specilized too, as the fool things make too much torque, and dialing in and adjusting the chassis is also an important part of the picture.
Hey !! Anybody,..... go ahead and try it , I welcome anyone who has the gumption, but I didnt think it was easy, and all my problems/solutions and pics are available to anyone who wants to contact me at; [email protected] I also commend j.miller's site here at tccoa, for a wealth of info, or perhaps you just want to do it by yourself, well thats fine too... God Bless, and good luck

·
Registered
476 Posts
You definately bring up some good issues like i said i didn't do the swap but i did do the cobra swap and it was a pain in some ways too. As far as the nuances of the 5.4L swap i dont know because i decided to do the cobra swap i felt it was more econimical. As always I just want to say good job with the way you did the swap. It takes alot of time and effort to do a swap especially in a mn-12 let alone one only really a hand full have done. In regards to the various problems in theory i can think of ways to solve them diferent then yours and who knows maybe they would or wouldn't work but like every problem theres always at least two approaches. As far as the brakes it could be possible to run manual brakes, but power isn't a neccisity for me but maybe you and hey thats how you roll. Frame is another issue that has to be always delicatly handled but any way the point is i still think its not that bad. But hey thats my opion and as always we can have different opions. For your backgroun i salute you it always takes a man to be in the military especially in war time. Thats it for now but thanks for all the info in case i ever get tired of the 4 valve motor. Thanks.

Will

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
one final thing, Mechman; As a Merchant Marine Officer, I never was in the military, did man naval ships owned and operated by the U.S. Navy on occasion, but was allways a civilian , even when shot at or returning fire....LOL

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
mechman1984 said:
Leland
The reason i say the swap isn't hard is ...I am an mechanical engineering student so these things aren't all that difficult to fab for me. ... Thanks for reading and feel free to point out where i have made any misassumptions.

Will
I applaud your comments but in the real world the devil is in the details. The overall concept and theory is rather straight forward. But actually doing it is not that easy to most. Look at the people who have done the swap. The short list is a master merchantman, degreed engineer, professional motorhead, a ford tech and a partridge in a pear tree. If you think you are good enough come on down and join the club?

Do not get me wrong. I love my car and it kicks butt and takes a ton of abuse if you can get it to work.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hello
Well i was going to do a 5.4L but i went with a cobra instead because i felt that was a more performance oriented alternative to the sohc. If i ever do another swap in a mn-12 it will definatly be a 5.4L. As far as my comments on ease i agree its always better in theory then reality but still i sand by my position its not that bad. I spent a year and a half resurrecting a 70 mustang coupe from the ashes and that was a pita. It required alot of frame and structure work so after that this stuff seems really easy to me. But hey thats me i haven't done the swap but i did plan it out a ways and i found some pretty "quick" answers to alot of issues. So i guess i am just saying that in thoery at least its not the worst ever. Thanks for reading. I'll go repaint the bull's eye on my forehead,LOL.

Will

·
Registered
789 Posts
er, uh, are you calling me a partridge in a pear tree? I guess I didn't do much of the actual labor myself, so that's fair. I did design the beast, tell them where to put everything, and port the heads myself and assemble non-rotating parts. Could I be an Eagle or Falcon or something??? I was just a college student back then who had done no more than rebuild a Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine that never ran again.

Yes it's a pain. It could be simplified quite a bit though. Stock engine, PI intake + spacers, new mounts, fabricated exhaust, a little grinding, fuel rails etc and a tune and you'll be running at least. It's still going to be a pain though.

Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts