TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into rebuilding my 4.6L or getting a 5.4L for my Thunderbird. I have found a 5.4L bare block for $200, I would love the 5.4L for the power but I'm not sure about the cost of building a whole motor. So, what I would like from you guys, is an opinion on what I should do, rebuild 4.6L or build a 5.4L? Thanks in advance for any opinions you guys can give me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5.4l

My goals for the car is to make it more like a street car, I also own an ATV so I would like it to be able to pull a little trailer for that. With my car having 116,000 miles on it I don't really want to put that strain of pulling the ATV around. I'm not sure on a budget because this would be something I have sitting on the stand and put money into it when I have a little extra (my car's paid off in a month so I will have some extra money). Or I'm thinking about taking an automotive class out at the college here and doing it there. And of course so I can say I have a 5.4L in my Thunderbird. :headbang:

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
it would be sweet, but isnt it a pita to get the 5.4 in there and tuned right? i think i would just build a nice 4.6, there are enough guys on here running in the 12's with just motor.

·
Registered
921 Posts
If anyone knows the in's and out's of doing the swap, it'd be Mr. Jacobson and Mr. Miller and Mr. Geurts. They have shown me the light, I just have yet to finish walking to the end of the tunnel. But I am on the Bare Block build up plan as well.... Lots of money(in my eyes) if you want it to perform well and to last.(I'm pretty sure mine will)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Unless youre really into cars dont do it!!............ That, having been said, I would commend J.Millers website in tccoa as a starting point... we are still figureing out what makes it tick in a birdie, and how to make it work well... there are a few of us who know the joys and frustrations of getting one to rock and roll, and a lotta the fun is in the doing... frustration is my middle name, but I have a strong running car now, albeit somewhat on the heavy side by design, and I am still tinkering and putzing with her almost 3 years later... I hope to get a few more ponies out of her before March , and then move on to some other project... good luck , whatever you decide

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
He is a good engineer, but has an aberrant side too.... i wouldnt pay much attention to it Doug, as its kinda-sorta an elite Code he is speaking in. From what I understand he also speaketh in tongues on occasion... :zpuke:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yeah...that guy is nuts...but ask him about a processor...

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts