TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I just want to start out by saying this is intented to be a tech only thread. I have read the opions on the swap so please limit comments to actual tech. I am not looking for comments on why mustang engines are better candidates. With that said here are my questions. First of all everyone seems to say that the swap is very difficult how can this be. I know of a company that makes adapter plates so all the pi intake can go right on top of the 5.4L. So that makes the intake up so far the same as a pi swap no harder or more difficult. Second the heads are interchangle between the 5.4L and the 4.6l. So one can put windsor heads on a mustang or romeo heads doesnt matter just need differnet valve covers. So this means so far that from the heads to the throttle body the motors could be identical. So heres my main problem why is the swap so complicated when the top is the same as a mustange motor. Also i have heard many say there are no aftermarket parts. I think i saw a company that made underdrives for the 5.4L so i could do underdrives a throttle body, upper intake(accufab or something), billet fule rails, adjustable fuel regulator, cams, springs, heads and so on. So thoughts on that. Now part two of my question. The other concern is reinfocement. Now if a mark motor can be put in a tbird(4cambird i belive) and i think dont quote me that a mark motor put out 300 hp and 300 tq so why would reinfocement for the 5.4L be a concern. I haven't heard of any reinforcement between a gt and a cobra motor so beyond maybe a torque strap why would i need to reinfocre the frame? Finally i have read alot of statemnets about how wiring and the eec can be a nightmare. If the top is the same as a gt motor how could it be any harder then the pi swap. The only difference i could think of would maybe be a knock snesor in the block or the crank postion sensor. Those are the only two i could think of that would be different. The ony other issue would be maybe the collent and opil filter unit but i though you coud just unbolt it and put the t bird one on. Also the only other thing that is an issue is the hood which i intend to make my own custum hood. So in short please help me out i only want tech i have read why the swap isn't good and i know the motor has some short comings but in all honesty i just dont see any real issues with this swap. Also i would like to add that they did this swap in a mustang in 5.0 or MMFF and they didn't seem to have any issues with reinforcement or eec problems. Thanks for everyones help and sorry to reopen an rebneat a dead dead beaten horse.

Will

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Wow, those floating Cougars are COOL!!!! :eek: :eek: :tongue:

Most of the mechanical stuff is outlined there. Wiring was a cakewalk, all you have to do is extend a few wires. I would try that new Al Intake. Possibly equally extend the runners the old fashioned way. What the heck, make an intake with bigger runners! Make two?? :D

The EEC is the hardest part. If you are nice and have an EEC tuner possibly the falling Cats will grant you a program to start with. However, there may still be many Dyno hours to get her just right. There you will be on your own.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I think i saw a company that made underdrives for the 5.4L so i could do underdrives a throttle body, upper intake(accufab or something), billet fule rails, adjustable fuel regulator, cams, springs, heads and so on. So thoughts on that. Now part two of my question. The other concern is reinfocement.
Save your money. Unless you're putting a big blower on it, stock springs heads fuel lines, FPR etc are all good enough. Just transfer them from the 4.6. I used the billet rails etc and gave me no benefit, but pains tuning. At most get the Aeromotive FPR that plugs into the stock rails and a gauge for adjusting fuel pressure.

If you want bigger cams, do it with the engine out, springs are good at that time then. This engine is most useful under 5k rpm's, so don't try to cam it into the 6k range. You'll break things. If you go for a big blower, get new internals too, 8:1 pistons, otherwise stock is fine.

Reinforcement: Mine makes 333 TQ at the wheels with no add ons. That's about 400lbs Tq at the engine give or take a dozen. WIth the stock motor mounts, you'll hit the shock towers soon. Get a solid metal for drivers side, solid rubber on passenger side. If that's too much vibration, solid rubber on both. If you run this with slicks, transmission, rear-end will begin falling apart without upgraded hardware. The engine is also heavier. My eibach lowered car shears off humps in the road with it's 3.5" clearance for the K-member. Not good.

Install:
Pull the 4.6, drop in the stock 5.4 with adapter plates and the PI intake = simple upgrade. Get it tuned and you're good to go. MINE FIT UNDER THE STOCK '95 HOOD after cutting the cross-beams, but that's with a welded stock '95 4.6 intake. Everything you add on, regardless of how simple, complicates the matter and will ad hours or days of tuning and frustration. KISS - keep it simple stupid

Good luck. I love the 5.4, but I turned a $2500 project into a $12,500 project because I customized everything. It's still not done.

Dan

·
Registered
789 Posts
Those flying cougars are awesome!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts