TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I swapped a 5.8 into my '96 Thunderbird LX. I have a question on headers.

Before I get started, yes I know I'll have to cut floor pan, re-route steering arm, and possibly channel more out of the body to get the exhaust to fit in, but I'm having problems just finding headers that will bolt on.

I got the motor out of a 94 F250. It has the horizontal bolt-patterns on it stock. The first headers I got showed that pattern in the gallery of the product, but when I recieved them they were diagnol. I called up the place and asked if I ordered the Kooks adapter plates if they would work. They said yes, and behold when I got them, the bolts don't line up.

So does anyone know of any decent headers that will actually BOLT UP to either this adapter plates or the stock bolt pattern? Price range prefered - $200-450

Thanks!

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
The only other person off the top of my head that has a 5.8 motor in his car is _95badbird. I would send him a PM and ask how he modified his header and steering arm. He also has a really good build thread in the General Tech forum.

More weight removal

·
Super Moderator
7,559 Posts
Any fox body 5.0 mustang headers will bolt on, but some will have more clearance than others. The best bet is to buy a used set of headers and test fit them, and if they won't fit you can re-sell them and not be out much money.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Uh, Bruce kind of did a 5.8-based-block header set as well.

http://prostreet393.clanteam.com/

Scroll through.

I was piddling around with some 5.8 Bronco longtube headers before I bailed from Windsor pushrod motors. Passenger side fits beautifully, the driver's side might need one tube moved around.

The set Bruce used, had the steering shaft not been relocated...I have a sneaking hunch they might have fit, but I think he was attempting to use the BBK 351W fox body swap shorty headers before he went with this Hooker set of 351W swap long-tubes for a Fox-body.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
NorthSideCustomsUSA said:
Hey guys, I swapped a 5.8 into my '96 Thunderbird LX. I have a question on headers.

It has the horizontal bolt-patterns on it stock. The first headers I got showed that pattern in the gallery of the product, but when I recieved them they were diagnol. I called up the place and asked if I ordered the Kooks adapter plates ( http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbayBeta&MyEbay=&CurrentPage=MyeBaySummary&ssPageName=STRK:ME:LNLK:MESUMX&gbh=1&guest=1 ) if they would work. They said yes, and behold when I got them, the bolts don't line up.

So does anyone know of any decent headers that will actually BOLT UP to either this adapter plates or the stock bolt pattern? Price range prefered - $200-450
These are the headers 392Bird is using along with the Steering Shaft Mod---->BBK 351W Swap Headers #15690

A cheaper option is the-->>Mac TFA9358 Longtube Headers

AFAIK these require a little more massaging of the Floor Pan, or K-Member depending on engine height..

You might also need the Steering Shaft Mod....I would buy the headers first, and go from there..

Rayo..

·
Registered
742 Posts

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I used unknown brand mustang 1 5/8 LT's.
I didn't have to do anything to the floor of the car, but i did bend my headers to fit.....
I also modified the steering shaft for the drivers side to work.

Also, this time around, I clearanced the shock towers some to make way for larger headers.
see pic below.

before chop...

after...little more room.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
_95badbird said:
Also, this time around, I clearanced the shock towers some to make way for larger headers.
Wow..That looks great!..The chop you made on the shock towers was so subtle I never even noticed..Good job!

Eventually I would like to get my engine bay cleaned up as well..All while keeping the EFI..

Rayo..

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
95badbird that there is A 1 quality work. WoW!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts