TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I'm not happy about it!!!! :redmad:

Don't you just hate it when everything that you "think" is a problem isn't.... :leftright

I've been fighting a very NASTY "clunk" in the 95 XR-7 since I bought it. It was only when the car moved and usually when the steering was not straight ahead. So with 180K + miles on it, I’m sure it’s due for ball joints, tie rods, etc. (and it was).

So I replace everything in the front end except the sway bar end links and no change. Ok fine, it needed it anyway. I do some testing on a rack (that’s fun… backing up and pulling forward on a rack….) and everyone under the car say it’s coming from the rear. :2huh:

Ok fine, I inspect EVERYTHING and can’t find anything noticeably loose. But U-joints can be deceptive and the bushings on the tranny crossmember were shot. So over the 4th of July weekend, I replaced everything from the tranny crossmember back…. New U-joints, new differential (went with the 2.73’s), new half-shafts, and even converted over to rear disc’s from drums.

As I backed the car off the ramps…. CLUNK!!! :redmad: WTF!!! :redmad:

Back up on the ramps it went!! And all I can say is that it’s a good thing I live in the country…. Or the neighbors would have heard a few “bad” words…. :leftright Three days worth of work and the symptom did not change one bit!!! :redmad:

But upon a closer visual inspection, I found the problem. The rear sway bar end link upper bushing is, oh how can I say this…. GONE!!! :beek: When I was doing my earlier testing, I had “wiggled” everything to see if I could find any play, but apparently the end link was in such a bind that it wouldn’t budge. :(

This morning I replaced the rear sway bar end links with some used ones I had laying around and she’s quiet as a mouse!!! :znanner:

The new ones are on their way… along with new front ones. :D

So the moral of this novel is don’t rely on “movement” alone when inspecting for worn bushings… :leftright :D

Oh well, at least EVERYTHING is brand new in the suspension. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
573 Posts
One thing is for certain: Nothing feels better than getting the suspension feeling better than it did yesterday. Sure feels good feelin' good again. Get the motor mounts replaced next, and the differental bushings. While your pocketbook is out do the tranny mount bushing too. The suspension is the key to the highway.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hollywood Ed said:
... and the differental bushings. ...tranny mount bushing too...
Done and not needed (when I had the cross member out I had a new tranny mount in hand, but it didn't fit. But the old one looked brand new. No cracks or anything.... so back in it went. As of right now, the only bushings that are original are the inner rear suspension A arm bushings.

And you're right.... with all these new parts, the highway ride is GREAT!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
573 Posts
I hear ya! People don't realize how worn and tired the suspension really is. Kinda like buying a new mattress and box springs. Good investment too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts