TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got my heads back on and torqued down in between trying to get ready for this darn hurricane.....the reinstall of the heads was surprisingly easier than the removal....not problems and everything lined up perfect.

While I had the heads off I installed the cooling mod so it would be easier thatn doin it while heads were on. I did some custom fabrication :D though. the new PI cooling pipe in the valley wouldn't fit back behind the heads with all the new pipes and the egr valve doohickey soooo.....I cut the new pipe back to where it takes a left hand bend and used heater hose pipe from there on. Well now the next problem...thanks to ashish I realized that I needed to reuse a peice of the stock cooling line that houses the climate control temp switch. I just cut out that piece of the pipe from the sotck pipe and spliced it into the heater hose. As you can see in the pics it turned out rather well. It's pretty tight back there but its all together now.

PM or email me if you have any questions or need any advice on this install.....always willing to help...thanks guys for the support

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
After my headswap I had multiple leaks coming from my setup - kinda like yours, but I didn't do the cooling mod. I discovered those type of clamps just do not keep enough pressure around the hoses to prevent leaking. If I were you I'd replace them with the screw down type before you put it back together and they're hard to get at.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Man, that's great. Maybe whitecoug can add that info to his writeup with your permission of course. jordansipek [sic] did something similar but iirc he said that you have to make sure it fits when some plate is bolted back on. I can't remember the details though. Maybe I'll look it up later.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah no prob.....i think the bracket you are talking about is the one you can see in the second picture just under the climate control sensor....at first It didnt fit so I had to reroute some houses and this was the best way it fit with no problems

·
Registered
268 Posts
Looking at you pics...did you install the oil pligs in the back of the heads. I'm not 100% but the allen plugs that are remomoved because the chain tensioner needs oil pressure as still installed if I'm looking at the pics right.

Hate to see you fight getting then in or worse.

loopyj22 said:
yeah no prob.....i think the bracket you are talking about is the one you can see in the second picture just under the climate control sensor....at first It didnt fit so I had to reroute some houses and this was the best way it fit with no problems

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I was curious how you are going to ground that pipe with the coolant temp sensor. I'm looking for a good solution to my heater hose setup that I need to do soon. I was thinking somehting along the lines of Billabong's setup. We will see what happens. Clean install though man, you should see how rigged mine is ;)
-Rob

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rob - what do you mean ground the pipe with the coolant temp sensor.....are you saying it has to be grounded to the block?????

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
loopyj22 said:
rob - what do you mean ground the pipe with the coolant temp sensor.....are you saying it has to be grounded to the block?????
yes, it must be grounded(engine or chassis). The easiest solution is scrape a patch
of paint off of the tube and using a hose clamp (not a spring clamp)
to clamp a piece of wire to the tube. Attach the other end to
the block or any other suitable grounding point on the firewall.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what about the other post about the allen plugs for the oil tensioners in the back of the heads....i'm not quite sure what he is talking about. Can anyone else elaborate.

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
With my PI Intake swap, I cut the section of pipe containing the sensor off of the original pipe and brazed it via a copper collar to the PI-style coolant hardline. It's a little tricky to get it to line up, but it isn't leaking and there shouldn't be any problems with grounding.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i figured it out that i left one of the bolt holes from the original pipe so I will just bolt it to the egr gas sensor just behind it.....that should work as that bolts into the heads right?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no actually there is still a bolt hole left on theactul pipe that the sensor screws into I am going to just bolt that to the block....look closer at the second picture down....just below the sensor is what I am talking about

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Might get a better ground if you got yourself a couple bolts, nut, some wire and a couple ring terminals and cleaned the paint off the bolthole on the coolant line. I'm pretty sure you see where I'm going..

But just to be sure,

you take one end of your piece of wire, put a ring terminal on it and bolt it to the coolant hardline. You take the other end, put a ring term on it and bolt it to the block using one of the bolts you took off the original coolant line (since IIRC, there are two, and the PI Coolant line only requires one...)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah....great minds think alike......just what i bought from discount auto parts. :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is my solution to the prob....a lot cleaner and works like a charm

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nice install

1 - 19 of 19 Posts