TCCoA Forums banner

5R55E Swap

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  MadMikeyL 
#1 ·
Maybe I'm just dreaming here, but that's why I'm asking. I've been driving my dad's '99 Explorer for the last few days and I really love it, specifically the tranny. The five-speed auto does a great job of keeping the SOHC 4.0L V6 in it's powerband, and it is sweet to get on it and a shift only drop the RPMs drop a couple of hundred instead of a couple of thousand on our wide-ratio transmissions.

Here's the question: There is a 5R55E that will bolt to a 4.6 block ('02-04 4.6L Explorers), so is it possible without too much extra effort to put this bad boy in? I assume that I will need a new DS and computer work, but how about the crossmember etc.?

No one has ever seriously brought this up here, and I may just volunteer myself to be a guinea pig if I can get some more info on it.

5R55E Gear Ratios:

1st: 3.22
2nd: 2.32
3rd: 1.55
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.71
R: 3.07

Sounds like fun! Should feel quicker off the line with the 3.22 1st gear ratio versus our 2.84.

See less See more
#2 ·
I saw one of those in a tranny shop the other day, and I may be wrong, but it looked WAY bigger than either the 4R70W or the AOD, even the C6 (which people have kind of determined won't fit in the MN-12 without modification to the floor pan.)

I don't know though, it might work... someone needs to get the dimensions on both first.

#3 ·
You'd probably need a shortened driveshaft too.

Not sure, but if I am deciphering the trans model # correctly, it wouldn't stand up to as much torque. Probably plenty for a semi-stock bird though.

#4 · (Edited)
According to what I've found, the 5R55E's gear ratios are:
1 - 2.47
2 - 1.87
3 - 1.47
4 - 1.00
5 - 0.75

The 5R55W's gear ratios are:

1 - 3.22
2 - 2.41
3 - 1.55
4 - 1.00
5 - 0.75

Only problem with the 5R55's is they seem to be sealed "maintenance-free" transmissions...

#5 ·
GreenBird said:
You'd probably need a shortened driveshaft too.

Not sure, but if I am deciphering the trans model # correctly, it wouldn't stand up to as much torque. Probably plenty for a semi-stock bird though.
That's what I was thinking too...although it would be enough for me I think. I'll have an Explorer 4.6 parked in front of whatever trans. I get, with no plans for power adder or serious rebuild anytime in the next few years.

I'll probably end up with just a newer 4R70W, but it sure is nice to think about.

I just found some more info on the gear ratios, you are right about them. I guess the previous source that I had read was completely wrong.

After thinking about it, it would be more complicated than what I want to do now. Maybe if someone has the opportunity they can work on this and see what is necessary. A new driveshaft is all but guaranteed, and the shifter would be difficult to rig I imagine as all vehicles equipped with this transmission have column shifters.

I'll put in a post-'98 4R70W now and maybe get a 5R in the future. :D

#6 ·
If the transmission will physically fit in the MN-12's, theoretically, the electronics would be easy to work out if you got something like a Baumannator TCS (if/when they support the 5R55. Who knows? Maybe with a wiring harness mod and some programming, maybe our stock EEC's could run the 5R55's (Probably not, though) I drove an '02 Explorer when I was on a buisiness trip in California, and liked the feel of the 5 speed auto... I wouldn't mind having one in my Cougar...

#7 · (Edited)
Wow this thread is long dead but it's the first result on Google for a 94 Cougar 5R55 swap LOL. I have a supercharged 01 Explorer Sport 2 door and a triple black 01 Cobra as well. I have 3 5R55Es sitting in my garage and my buddy has a 94 Cougar with the stupid 4R70 in it. Well the 4R70 isn't stupid if its built right but his is lol. Needless to say I want to swap a 5R55 into his car.

I saw earlier in the post that it might not physically fit into the trans tunnel because of the way the floor pan is however that's not an issue for me LOL. Nor is wiring but I'm wondering if anybody has done this yet or if anybody knows about any write ups on forums out there for the swap. I also have full access to SCT Advantage and sniper delta forces commando and Ford IDS software, my login to the Ford technician website just got cancelled recently after 3 years not working for Ford anymore LMFAO, but that had all the proper workshop manuals and wiring diagrams and diagnostic information so it's a bummer I don't have it anymore. However, I have access to all data for a few vehicles and I'm happy with it.

Anyways, I was thinking that since they use the 5r55e and the 4r70 in the explorer V6s and the V8s and a bunch of other stuff that it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a transmission harness to plug into the engine harness of a 94 cougar. i forget what gen EEC it is but its an old one however it has the port on it to hook up a daughterboard for very good on the fly tuning but that's irrelevant cuz were gonna be replacing the 4.6 in this 94 cougar XR7 with the newest version of the 4.6 in whatever vehicle we find for a full motor pull including harness and manifold and everything cuz the current 4.6 in it has a bad cylinder and its like the first version of the 4.6 anyway.

So, that means different intake manifold, fuel and ignition system and updated PI cylinder heads which means different PCM and harnesses etc. are going to be necessary anyway. So if I had an explorer PCM it should have no problem recognizing the 5r55 especially if i go into the tune and change the type of transmission or the amount of transmission gears or something LOL. I do know that the stock PCM in the Cougar is recognized as a Mustang PCM at least with my old livewire 9600 power programmer anyways.

But we're not gonna rebuild this motor or anything, we just wanna drop it in and get it done ASAP to get it back on the road cuz we're gonna build a 4.6 DOHC for it anyways with perhaps a built 5r55, or 6r80 if i could make that work so he could have a 6 speed automatic or a T56(preferably) or Tr3650.

Sorry I wrote so much, its just that these are the things I'm thinkin about and I have a hard time believing that other talented mechs out there haven't thought the same things by 2020 and that this post was the first and only post I saw on a quick Google search of 94 Cougar 5r55 swap but then again I didn't search Thunderbird or Mark 8 so any information would be greatly appreciated.

#8 ·
Let me start by saying that I don't think too highly of the 5R55 transmission, and I definitely don't think it would be worth the work involved to swap one in. Having said that, the 05-10 Mustang GT Automatic is a 5R55 with a 4.6 bell housing bolt pattern. Swapping that trans in will require a custom made driveshaft, but that isn't too big a deal. Where the real problem comes in is the computer. All the stuff you want to do with the engine can be done with a tune on the stock PCM without any issues, however the hardware simply isn't in there to control a 5-speed automatic. In theory, you could use an ECM out of a 4.6 Explorer, since that was a 4.6 2V/5R55 combination, but you will have to do a lot of rewiring to get everything working in the Cougar. Personally, I would say either replace the 4R70 with a newer one, or do the TR3650 swap. The manual trans in these cars makes a world of difference in how it drives, and with the 05-10 Mustang GT TR3650, it is really a direct bolt-in swap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.