TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got the 5spd conversion complete on the 90' Thunderbird LX. As some of you may know the car already undergone a 99' Mustang Splitport engine 3.8L transplant, and now I just finished installing the 5spd from a 91' SC,, and to top that off I also installed 3.73 gears in the rear.

All I can say is I drove it for the first time yesterday and its freakin awesome,, the 3.73 and 5spd really get that car off the line like a pro-stock car =)

The 3.73's arent to much either seeing that I dont have the IMRC's on the 99 Motor and really help down low.

I think I almost officialy have the most bastard car from hell.

If you guys have questions about the swap feel free and I'll try to answer.

Brad M
Stangman Racing

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
any pics?? sounds like lots of fun...:zbeer:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too thought 1st gear would be a waste of time,, but its totally usuable and gets up to about 25-30mph with it. and gets up good!,, it helps that the car doesnt have low profile tires (205-70-15) so I'm sure that some low pro's will come soon. unfortunetly this is not my car but a buddy or mines car that we have been working on.

He uses the car as a daily driver (almost 100miles a day),, but we had to try the 3.73's just too see what its like,, if awesome,, but for gas sake we will probably install the 3.27's back in it.

I will try to have pics soon,, as I'm still awaiting the SC center console and have to figure what to do with the openings for the handbrake and ride control switches.

Brad M

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
just curious, how come you dont have the imrcs in it? that motor runs better that way

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
ah i see. i forgot about that.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well,, were gonna find out tonight how it is with 3.08 gears,,, reason for the 3.08 is we got a 8.8" pumpkin out of a 95 XR7 and thats what were gonna try for now,, heck it was almost free.

I'll write back with the results. I still feel the 3.27's would be the best choice.

Brad M

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey guys-

First, questions about the trans swap-for those of you that did it-what did you do about the sensors on the trans-the speedometer, neutral safety switch and reverse lights, as well as the sensor that keeps the car from cranking unless the clutch is depressed-

By the way-the car is a 94 sc

and anyone have a console top for a 5 speed 94-95? thanks, mike.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
SplitPortBird said:
the 99' motor didnt come with IMRC,, if I had gotten a 2000 then it would have em.

Brad M

My 94 LX has a 2000 splitport 3.8L, and it doesn't have IMRC's. I think they began using the IMRC's on the mustang splitport intakes in 2001.

-Rod

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Charkly,, as far as sensors go,, we didnt use the clutch switch so the car will crank over without the clutch being depressed,, some may say that chancy,, but I feel its for those idiot drivers.

The speedometer plugs right in from your existsing wiring,, but the old AOD neutral saftey and revers lights are one single small plug,, where on the M5R2 its 2 spereate plugs,, simply use the M5R2 plugs and splice them into the AOD wiring. only 4 wires and everything works great,, reverse lights works and car wont crank unless its out of gear, and speedometer is working fine.

Brad M

P.S. we got the 3.08 gears in,, and its OK but doesnt leave the line like the 3.73's did,, its bogs just a tad with the 3.08's..... 3.27's or 3.55's would be the perfect choice.

·
Registered
132 Posts
is this an expensive mod? how hard was it to put in a clutch?

·
Registered
132 Posts
is this an expensive mod? how hard was it to put in a clutch?

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I believe I read somewhere that it was a mid-year revision. My mom and dad have a late-year '00 and I'm pretty sure it has them. I'll check and take a picture if I can remember to when it's not raining.

Josh

racecougar said:

My 94 LX has a 2000 splitport 3.8L, and it doesn't have IMRC's. I think they began using the IMRC's on the mustang splitport intakes in 2001.

-Rod

1 - 15 of 15 Posts