TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone gone down the road of a T56 swap and lived to tell about it. i dont see anybody posting anything about this for the super coupes. mainly just a few here and there with V8s.

·
Registered
161 Posts
There are a couple out there. None of the regulars here have done it. It's on my to-do list. Sometime after I get my 351 in and a new paintjob. The 3.8 has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 302/351 so it should theoretically work.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
There are a couple of guys over on SCCoA that have done it. I'm about to do it myself for my 1990 SC DOHC Project. The Camaro T56 has the correct length for shifter location, but the Viper internals have the best strength.

Josh

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
The nice part being you can put the Viper internals into the F-Body T56 to build it up.

Mcleod Industries has everything you need to do the transmission adaption with their Modular Bellhousing system. You'll also need a flywheel with a 26spline clutch.

·
Super Moderator
7,551 Posts
For those who have had a T56 apart, rather than using the McLeod bellhousing, can you swap the bell housing from a mustang T56 and an F-body T56?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
The nice part being you can put the Viper internals into the F-Body T56 to build it up.

Mcleod Industries has everything you need to do the transmission adaption with their Modular Bellhousing system. You'll also need a flywheel with a 26spline clutch.
I'm trying to remember which years of F-body's had the T-56?

I've got a run to make to the bone yard, and I'm going to be picking up some goodies...and if I can get a trans too...then so be it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
joshbea6 said:
I'm trying to remember which years of F-body's had the T-56?
93-01 F-bodies

MadMikeyL said:
For those who have had a T56 apart, rather than using the McLeod bellhousing, can you swap the bell housing from a mustang T56 and an F-body T56?
I would imagine you can, but that won't help you much because the Mustang only came with a 4.6 bellhousing. You might be able to have an adaptor plate made to allow the GM transmission to bolt up to a 302/351. There is a website (www.5speedtransmissions.com) that has a lot of good info on 5 and 6-speed swaps. They also have a bellhousing for the t56 with an external slave cylinder already mounted up. Which is probably the way I'll go when I do the swap.

·
Super Moderator
7,551 Posts
You could also theoretically buy a T56 for a 5.0 mustang, and swap bell housings and have 2 complete trannies, each for different appliations. I know from some research I did for my uncle that a 3rd gen vette needs the shifter in the same location as the mustang has, so you could theoretically buy an F-body T56 and a 5.0 mustang T56, swap bell housings, and use the F-body trans with the ford bell housing in the tbird and sell the mustang trans with the chevy bell housing to a vette guy, or maybe some other GM needs the shifter in that location too.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I want a six speed so bad... unfortunately i dont have the funds to back it up. 1200 dollars? i like my 300 dollar M5R2, lol.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I want a six speed so bad... unfortunately i dont have the funds to back it up. 1200 dollars? i like my 300 dollar M5R2, lol.
Where did you find a T-56 for $1200? Cheapest I've been finding (about $2000) makes it worth my while to buy a NEW one for $2500.

By the way, does the LS1 or the LT1 have the same bolt pattern as the 4.6L or will I need an adapter plate?

Also, what is the difference in the M28 and M29 Option on the Trans?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lt1---ls1

'93-97 LT1 used an external slave pull type. '98-01 used a concentric (like the SC) slave. I found that with my set up the 1-1/8 27 spline LS1 input shaft I had to ream out the slave to fit and chamfer the rear of the slave to keep it from being a clamp for the inpit shaft!
I used a standard GM t56 roller pilot bearing and had a sleeve turned to adapt it to the larger 3.8 ford crank hub size.
The input shaft is long, used a spacer between the Mcleod belladapter and adapter plate to set depth on the input shaft pilot (to keep the splines out of the hub.)
The crossmember is a royal PITA to fab up!
used a Hurst Billit + shifter with SC 5 speed upper stick, knob and boot.
Didn't have to mod the tunnel other than notch the shifter hole.
MikeH

·
Registered
17 Posts
I called Don Walsh from D&D performance and he said your best bet for the MN12 FM10 swap is the TR6060 6 speed since it has the correct remote shifter, and 4.6L fly wheel housing. Seems this would require the least amount of fabrication. They are for sale for $2000 on ebay and he sells them rebuilt for $2000.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There's actually one for $1500, too. There are alot of fabbed or expensive adapter pieces to buy, with all the other six speed options. Seems you'd end up in that ballpark with a bunch of fabbing to do, too. Five speed is definitely cheaper but a huge amount of work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
man would i love to have 6gears... wow what a dream. I wonder how it would effect gas milage on an sc or even the lx....

·
Registered
161 Posts
I wonder how it would effect gas milage on an sc or even the lx....
It all depends on the rear end gears. I'm planning on running a T56 with the 0.50 overdrive and a set of 3.90 gears. Which is an overall ratio of 0.50x3.90 = 1.95. My T5 has a 5th gear ratio of 0.68 and with the stock 3.08 gears. Overall ratio 0.68x3.08 = 2.09. Which means that I'll get better mileage, even going from 3.08 to 3.90

There are a lot of combinations of gear ratios in the T56s so there is a fair bit of homework that needs to be done.

·
Registered
71 Posts
guess in the long run it would pay off

·
Registered
21 Posts
more..

Both sides of pads in. working on x-member ends, converting from single bolt on ends to 2 bolts on the ends. Hopefully get some more done this weekend, so I can pull the engine & trans for clutch setup.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Been looking seriously at this swap:

TR-6060 Transmission

It appears to be much more stout than the T56 and also cheaper.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts