TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone modified their 8.8 IRS Traction Lock to use 8 clutches instead of the normal 6? I've read that it makes the limited slip a little tighter, but is it too much for the IRS?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes you can put 4 fibers on each side by setting down the side gear, start with a fiber, then a steel, fiber, steel, fiber, steel and a fiber a then the shim. Normally it takes two shims to make up the clearance (.070 to 075 shim thickness). With the 4 fiber setup a shim of .040 is common. You need the Ford tool T80P 4946 A to find the shim thickness. There is an alternative method to finding pack clearance I discovered when I produced a video on rebuilding the 8.8" rear end. If you email me [email protected] , I can give you the measurement process. I'm not sure if adding a fiber will make it live any longer and remember you will likely have to buy two clutch kits to do this job........Ken.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Medium Duty

The OEM Trac-Loks are M edium D uty. I've seen rebuild kits on the net, that will rebuild a MD , into a H eavy D uty. I can only assume that they would have the extra parts necessary.

68COUGAR
_________

1 - 3 of 3 Posts