• N/A 5.0

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok been tossing this idea around for a while now 1) mod the 3.8 or 2) lightly mod a 5.0. Looking for about 300-350HP at or below 5000RPM (the lower the better) with most between 2000-4000RPM.

Plan for 3.8:
99-04 Mustang SPI Intake
Stroked to 4.2
Roots style blowers (via 89-95 SC)
forged internals

Plan for 5.0:
Mail order parts
no stroking

Both plans I'd put new rockers (1.73) and exhaust, and have to run with the 4R70W.
In summary the V6 be a SC 4.2 SPI and 5.0 be a basic stuff form Jegs/Summit.

·
Registered
798 Posts
It would be easier to put a 4.6 in, then to try and put a 5.0 in.

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
It would not be smog legal but I would go the 5.0 route. Here is the reason why. your transmission won't bolt to a 4.6. I don't know how long your trany will last with the power of the 5.0 since it has fewer clutches in it than a v8 trany. If you use a 94-95 mustang 5.0 wiring harness and computer you can still retain the automatic.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With either option the tranny will be getting beefed up. The 5.0 would be smog legal if got it out of a 97-99 Explorer.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Bowez,

When I change motors from a 3.8 in my Bird, I'm going to go with a 4.2L V-6 short block. If I modify current intake and heads, I can bolt them up on the 4.2's short block, no problem.

If I go with splitport heads and intake, I'll use the ones from a 00 Mustang. I'll have to put in a chip and probably swap the computer though.

That's my plan. Your mileage will vary.

And I'm getting 26+ on the highway with ethanol which is the cheapest gas locally. That's another reason to think of a V-6, fuel economy if your car is the daily driver mine is, 20,000 in a year on it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't think anything that makes over 300HP is real gas effiicent., and at that level a v8 would be better.

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
a 4.2 would just be awsome, before i bought my xr7 i heavily considering doing that swap to my LS, heck i might still do it someday
with the right set up, man you can take out a lot of cars

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'd definately go with a 5.0, not only can you make more power, but you can make it for less money. In fact I personally would probably opt out for the 5.8L (I always wanted a 351W in my thunderbird)

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
What did John F. Kennedy say about going to the moon? "We do this not because it is easy, but because it is hard."

Making a v-6 go fast brings out the creativity in a person. All a V-8 requires is a bigger hammer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can spend half as much to go with the 302 and get the same performance.
Weight and size, there is not much better than a 302.
Now if you do happen to have some extra funds, and really want a 302 to run build a "302 clevland"

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
PCD said:
Making a v-6 go fast brings out the creativity in a person. All a V-8 requires is a bigger hammer.
Hey ! i resemble that comment:D i went with the v8 in my car beacause there was nothing there when i started, i love v8s but would of settled for a s/c 3.8 , they are easier to play with , and a tad cheaper to play with .

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I'm leaning toward the SC 4.2 SPI, now just have to find some one that makes and adapter for the Blower--and money.

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
V6Sprout over at sccoa has been working on a lower intake that adapts the roots style blower to the splitport heads for awhile now.

Making a custom lower intake

-Rod

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I would do a SPI 4.2L stroker, you could have a 250+rwhp and over 250rwtq with one heck of a flat torque curve for under 3000$. A stang 5speed just dynoed at 265rwhp/280rwtq with a 4.2 with ported heads, intakes, and a cam. Best of all you can retain your stock computer and wiring harness, and have enough power to run mid 13 second 1/4's while having the distintive V6 exhaust note that leaves people scratching there heads. ( I know there are a few Kids with V8 birds around here wondering why I smoked them )

1 - 20 of 22 Posts