TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday I had a couple people cancel appointments so decided to just work on my Dead 95 bird sitting in the shop for the last 6 years and in the trees several years before that, last tagged in 04 :frown2:
So here is the progress Friday.
I had the engine and trans all built and just sitting waiting on me to get free time.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Saturday / Sunday's progress :surprise:

I couldn't find the needed parts for the steering relocation so just went forward and put in my one piece aluminum driveshaft. Then test fit of the exhaust after putting the gas tank back in place temporarily, don't have the new dual pumps fitted in it yet so it be coming back out soon.
Looks good as far as clearance goes.
Check out the NOS solenoids looking up at the firewall and the exhaust manifold before the head pipe went in .. :wink2:
Guess I'll have to decide which computer to use pretty soon or I will never get this thing back running.

I will defiantly have to repaint after she's running but I feel better now having A good start on the resurrection, just not looking forward to rewiring it again. :frown2:

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a couple pics one with the hood shut now the engine is in, dam shes dirty ..
One of the wheels showing the COBRA brakes, only problem is I lost one of the relocation brackets for the rear :frown2: I'll make another one if I cant find it.
and another with the engine beside her.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For anyone interested in what has been done to the drivetrain I'll give a quick list.

The block is a Teksid with the rotating assembly comprised of a cast steel crank from a 97 Continental, forged rods and floating wrist-pins with spiro-locks on factory 97 Continental 2cc dish pistons.
Head gaskets, head bolts, oil pump, pick up, windage tray and exhaust are from an 04 Cobra.
Heads, cams, wheels and brakes are from a 96 cobra, heads are very slightly ported on intake and opened up on exhaust side.
The intake and drive shaft are from a 93 Mark VIII. I split the plenum and runners, short for top end on the secondary stage of the throttle body and the long runners on the primary side of the TB for torque, this is why I have the funky intake tube. The objective was to keep air speed up giving more torque.
The secondary runners are on a vacuum switch hooked to window switch in the MSD DIS 4 and only open after 3600-RPM. It has 90mm Lightning MAF and 36 lb Boch III injectors.
The car also has a NOS launcher progressive controller and an Alkey meth injection which I may take out since 'm not running boost anymore.
I still haven't decided on which computer I want to run. I have a 95 T-Bird, 96 Cobra,97 Mark VIII, 96 Police Crown Vic, and a 05 GT... I will have to decide pretty soon I guess since I have already pulled the pins to change it to the 97 Mark VIII but may decide to go with the Police or Cobra to avoid the timing retard I been hearing about when running knock sensors.

The trans is a 4r70w with the following mods.
In the valve body " Sonnax" linear pressure regulator, boost, bypass clutch, elevated pressure controller and spring, main pressure regulator, and solenoid regulator.
It has billet input and intermediate shafts from PACT, as well as Sonnax Smart-tech extra capacity billet froward drum and Smart-tech extra capacity direct drum.
I put Alto Red Eagle clutches and bands in with Koleen steels. I also installed a Superior "Super Servo " and Sonnax oring sealed pin for the OD. and, I'm using a woven triple disk converter with 2400 stall
Hopefully this combination makes it Bullet Proof for "NOS"
Next is the 93 Mark driveshaft hooking up the diff which is a modified locker with a 355 gear, sometimes I wish I had left the bigger side gears in for meatier axles.

OK any questions .. :nerd:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here we go again.
I spent yesterday wiring up a customers progressive controller, so after done there I decided to play with my neglected Bird...
I got the steering fixed up and was actually pretty easy I only needed the ujoint for the rack and a 20" piece of 3/4 shaft. I just cut the double D to a square and fitted it to the factory joint under the dash. works flawlessly and I used the boot from before as well so nice..

Now I'm looking at my fuel pumps

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a pic of the new Walbro GSS-340 matched pumps and the new hanger assembly.
I'm about to hack up and make like the old one from the blower days, after all I may decide to go back to forced induction.
I figuring do upgrades now, just don't let it sit 10 years with a full tank again.. yuck..

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I'm on here, I am still on the fence about which ECM to use.
I have been trying to find any advantages or disadvantages of the 3 I have ( 95 bird - 96 Crown Vic Interceptor - 97 Mark VIII )
I have installed 02 knock sensors under the intake and would like to use them, but I am hearing that the early ECM is slow to adjust making them bad for performance applications.

I have a BBK adjustable crank pick up and an MSD DIS-4 running the dual coil packs up front.
( I do have the DIS adapters for COP and the valve covers from the last setup. They're for sale with the "C" heads. )

For tuning I have an X-Cal-4 and an old Quarter Horse with a bad battery I'm going to send in.

Any advice on which one to use and why would be appreciated
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
Nice! It's great to see you're bringing this one back to life.

·
Registered
92 Posts
OK, so here is the latest ...

I have been through the ringer trying to find a competent tuner and after a long list of very incompetent people it was suggested to use Don Lasota by Grog.

WOW he seems to know his stuff in reference to the tuning world and didn't try to BS me about it.
I have the wiring half done for putting in the Mark VIII PCM

I am now in process of changing it back to the factory set up after Don told me the three PCM's I have all have the same clock speed and with the Mark VIII I have a ton of emissions crap do deal with as well as torque limiters and bad Knock sensors.

I ask him about the CV interceptor PCM and he told me the security system is subject to failing out of the blue and Bricking the PCM.
Leaving the Factory 95 Bird PCM as the best choice.

SO .... After talking with him and exchanging E-mail. I now have purchased the Pro Racer Package from Lasota racing and SCT.
I also bought Dons book on tuning the Fords, which I feel may be very helpful since all of my experience has been on late model GM cars, I have never tuned an early model before.

Don wrote me a base tune which I will have to edit and alter as needed once I get the software from SCT which they won't give me until they have proof of EPA compliance and certification from taking a small test, as well as filling out a questionnaire which Don said to be truthful about, but also to tell them it is for R&D for Off Road, which will give me more access to portions of the file and more editing ability..

We will see soon since I just received the tuning book from Don and Fed-X delivered the Dongle from SCT with the PCM factory file on it. Now I just have to get the editing software from SCT and then I can start on finishing this old Bird ..

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the update. Keep up the good work. It'll be amazing when done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow thats a crazy coincidence , i have the same year and same color car and it has been sitting at my work for years and i'm now bringing it back to life, hasn't been tagged since 07,installed a new fuel pump,putting in new injectors, new OEM PI intake,chasing down correct hardware from previous people doing things the wrong way and I'm completely redoing the harness,replaced all my fuel injector harness clips with new ones i found on eBay and fixing several wires that had been damaged by oil, car was one of the first T birds to have the PI conversion done way back in 99. Ive been having a lot of fun working on the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts