TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to install the 60 mm t.b. on my 3.8l i do not have an adapter but i know it has been done befor so any one who has done this mod any help would be apreciated

·
Registered
207 Posts
What else have you done to your car so far? I think I may be the one your talking about I adapted my own I think I am the only person on here that did(may be wrong) everyone else I know that has the 60mm got Flex's adapter but I was 18 broke and full of ideas

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
lx2sc said:
What else have you done to your car so far? I think I may be the one your talking about I adapted my own I think I am the only person on here that did(may be wrong) everyone else I know that has the 60mm got Flex's adapter but I was 18 broke and full of ideas
Actually rancherlee has a 60mm tb adapting the lx2sc way. I think it's cool how we all live in the midwest too hehe.

Yeah, like lx2sc said, if you don't have many engine mods the throttle body really wouldn't help you out much. Think about upgrading your intake manifolds and other things first.

-Thomas

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have many internal and simple bolt ons just wanted to do something more on the induction side and get rid of thatsmall t.b. and get something bigger but i dont have the addapter but i know a few people have put it on and i was wondering if you could let me know how you did it so i can do the same

·
8,978 Posts
m94ford said:
i have many internal and simple bolt ons just wanted to do something more on the induction side and get rid of thatsmall t.b. and get something bigger but i dont have the addapter but i know a few people have put it on and i was wondering if you could let me know how you did it so i can do the same
First find a throttle body from an 86-88 (I believe) thunderbird, mustang, cougar 5.0L and all the sensors attached along with the wiring harness pigtail and enough wire to splice into your sensor wires on the car. Then you mark the 60mm tb where holes are on the v6 manifold and drill them out. lx2sc will have to tell you how to make the throttle linkage because I have no idea. Once I locate my Chilton's Manual I'll post which wires splice into which.

So what all do you have into the engine?

-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts
TBird232ci said:
the tbird/cougar is 60mm, while the mustang is 60mm
so they're the same size? I believe my tb came from a thunderbird.

·
8,978 Posts
also, I believe it's 86-88 thunderbirds/cougars, and 86-93 mustang 5.0L's Now that I think of it my tb came off of a 93 5.0 mustang. ordered it from Flex with the edges smoothed and all polished.
-Thomas

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ok Guys im just gonna make another post as a how-to alot of people aare asking ill put pics on there too.

·
8,978 Posts
Okay so it needs to come from a thunderbird then? I swear the 5.0 stangs had 60mm tb's on non-ho's. You can't use an HO tb because they are different than the non-ho's.
-Thomas

·
Registered
233 Posts
Okay so it needs to come from a thunderbird then? I swear the 5.0 stangs had 60mm tb's on non-ho's. You can't use an HO tb because they are different than the non-ho's.
-Thomas
I am not familiar with the years, but let me add what I know so far. From what I recall, all V8 stangs back then were HO 5.0's. And of course there were no HO V6 stangs. So if you have a 5.0 tb, it's from an HO V8 stang.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thomas said:
-Thomas
As Roy said, every 5.0 Stang is an HO, im not sure about 86, since 86 is an oddball 5.0, but 87-95 all are HO's, and use a 60mm throttle body, the thunderbirds/cougars/grand marquis ect got the standard output 5.0

only car other than the stang to get an HO is the LSC

as for not being able to use the HO tb, i dont see why not, the standard output guys do direct swaps with the HO throttle body, with no issues, so there isnt any external difference, the only difference is the venturi and the throttle plate

·
8,978 Posts
all 89-93 5.0 THUNDERBIRDS were HO. 5.0 HO was, I believe, an option for the stang. It came with both. Either way, look for a non HO 5.0L ford and grab the throttle body off of it :D
-Thomas

·
Registered
25 Posts
TBird232ci said:
actually, if you get technical, you could say the HO was an option because you could buy a 4cyl or 6cyl stang, but every 5.0 was HO
I'll back you on this one TBird232ci. For certain all Mustang five litres from 87-93 except for possible the 93 cobra (that one might have been a 65 mm) were High Output and had the 60mm throttle body. The 86 was a High Output but I think the TB may have been smaller but I'm not 100% sure on that

·
Registered
207 Posts
No Dont grab one off a non-H.O they came with the same 52mm throttle body as our car the 3.8 its just bigger on the back so it can bolt up to the 5.0 intakes lincolns have these which are a dime a dozen out here in the bone yard all 5.0 stangs I believe came with the 60mm tb but some were halfshafted already and some werent pretty wierd but you can also tell which way the tube that comes out of it if facing if the throttle linkage is on the right the tube is on the left with the outlet facing up

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I have never seen a 5.0 fuel injected stang that didnt have a 5.0 HO emblem thing on the intake plenum.
-Rob

·
Registered
150 Posts
Canadianthunder said:

I'll back you on this one TBird232ci. For certain all Mustang five litres from 87-93 except for possible the 93 cobra (that one might have been a 65 mm) were High Output and had the 60mm throttle body. The 86 was a High Output but I think the TB may have been smaller but I'm not 100% sure on that
it wouldnt be suprising about the 86, it is the only year with flat tops and E6 heads, so it could have the smaller throttle body, im not totally sure

1 - 20 of 20 Posts