TCCoA Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiousity, is it possible to put some 6X9's where our stock speakers go? I have a 94 n/a. I mean can you like shave off some of the plastic on the sides, and the mounting screws will still line up easily? Also, do the speakers in the doors connect just like the ones in back? with just a little plug? Cause best buy charges 40 dollars a pair for installation... they're charging me 40 dollars to unscrew something and plug something else in it's place, very retarded. Or would you guys suggest I just find some aftermarket 6X8's and save the hassle... Someone help. Also another question, If i get a small amp, like 150-200 watt's, will it make the speakers sound a lot better? having four 6X9's? Someone help me lol

G

·
putting 6X9s in those spaces are a lot of hassle. 5X7s sound just as good in my opinion. Not as much bass but oh well, that's what they make subs for.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like a lotta bass, but i don't feel like putting subs in. I know there are companies that make good aftermarket 6X8's but for some reason i'm set on 6X9's... Not sure why. I still need some feedback.

G

·
ok then stick 5X7s in your factory openings, amp them with a good amplifier, and stick a set of 6X9s and put them on the rear deck but make sure you face the woofer at an angle (i.e. make boxes) and amp those with a seperate amp. That will give you more than enough bass without subs. Don't forget to rewire each speaker so that you don't have to deal with that VERY small factory wire. 12 guage should be good enough.

·
Registered
239 Posts
6x9's wouldn't fit on my '91 tbird in the standard places. 6x8's are a lot closer to 5x7 than 6x9. In my opinion, 6x9's put out a lot more bass than 5x7's. On mine...the connections are the same for all fours...I would do it yourself...a lot cheaper, and not really that hard if you know how to use a soldering iron. Another option for 6x9's is to buy a 6x9 box...and just put them on the dashboard thingy behind the rear seat. Not sure how much those would cost you though. I considered mounting the some speakers to the rear deck thing...but it looked to me like a lot more trouble than it was worth..I ended up getting subs, 3 of them to be exact. =)

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
News Flash!!! Oval speakers will NEVER sound as good as round!!!

It is not physically possible to move an oval cone in a perfectly linear fashion because it's stiffer in one direction than the other. It may be close, but no cigar. There will always be some distortion...it may not be very noticable, but it's there.

The best thing do is run a set of 5.25" or 6.5" separates or two-ways in your factory locations. You'll be thankful you did. All you have to do is make a simply baffle plate of some sort to mount them to. I used 1/8" masonite, but just about anything would work (not cardboard please).

Personally, I have Eclipse 6.5" separates in the doors and 8" ProTech midbass drivers in the rear side panels. The 8 inchers in the rear sides were NOT easy to do, but they fit if you don't mind some work and fabrication.

·
Registered
244 Posts
well well. eclipse huh??? too much money for my blood. i have a set of MA audio synergy SY69F 6x9 in my dodge ram doors. those things are wicked with about 80 watts RMS to each of them. the bass will rattle stuff, and i hear no distortion. in my cougar, i have a set of Rockford Fanatic Q 5.25 components in the doors, and a set of jensen 6.5" coaxials in the rear quarters. for the $20 pricetag on the jensens, they are awesome speakes, running off the HU. the rockfords are amazing too, the highs on them are unreal. i made a baffle out of 5/8" mdf for the midbass, screwed it into the steel door, and mounted the speaker to the mdf. i put the tweeter in the exposed grille on the door. do the speakers yourself, screw the best buy. its like a 10 minute job.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright... i know nothing about car audio so ur gonna have to help me a bit. first off, my HU is only 45 watts so... i dunno. i don't know what a baffle is, and i'm not sure exactly how to put a 6.5" round speaker in a 6" space... or will it fit? i dunno, someone just gimmie a little bit more info about all that... how to do it and what not. Also, will an aftermarket speaker have the exact same male plug on it that goes to the female one on the speakers? or does it not mater and I can just strip and connect the 2 wires if i need to... lol as you can tell i'm not the sharpest one on all of this. Also, if i need an amp... someone is gonna have to tell me how to do that lol SOMEONE HELP haha

·
Registered
735 Posts
ATTN CRACK HEADS

I cant believe some of the stuff Im hearing here. There isnt a lot of truth or experience being shared on this subject. If you want to talk to some pro's ask richard clark or david navone at carsound.com

Anyways, enough of my ranting. YES YOU CAN PUT 6x9's in the doors, rear and yes the rear deck lid. Want proof? www.sounddomain.com/id/knappy check by AUG 10 ill have more pics uploaded.

basically you remove the ford plastic crap. place an infinity 6x9 bracket upside down or one of those big burly metras right side up seal the surround with 3M (not neccescary by anymeans but Im all about the overkill) mount away.

Rears....little more work. Get a dremel. You have to dremel a bit off the side panel.

Not to bust people's balls...but just want people to be able to share the same sound I get in my bird with everyone else. BTW...working on a bird is never easy. lol

·
Registered
244 Posts
could you tone down your attitude a bit please? he was giving his account that the 6x9 would not fit directly in HIS car. i gave my experience with my car, as did SW, and others. as for what you cannot believe, what is it? you can't believe that a 6x9 would not fit in a factory location???? mine didn't, until i modified it. you can't believe that 5x7 sound just as good in krushers OPINION??? please do tell.

·
Registered
735 Posts
you need to re-read

Im saying he can install 6 x9s in his car. Ive been doing installs for almost 4 years. Ive worked on everything from a 2001 Dodge Viper, Porsche, BMW roadsters, and even Ferrari. Which is fun cause of all the hand made parts. yay.

Dont take it to Best Buy...they have bad business practices. Good place to buy product (too bad its all crap) and get hassled to buy PSP.

Circuit City...better installers usually (granted every shop has its own personality) but salesman are on commision. They can bargain down, they will sell you anything (even if its crap).

And to your experience " It is not physically possible to move an oval cone in a perfectly linear fashion because it's stiffer in one direction than the other. " If you can hear the difference...ill eat a dollar. And on that note, as per not physically possible to move an oval cone in a perfectly linear fashion because it's stiffer in one direction than the other, it depends on the construction of the driver too.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
this has started turning into a bash war, and is therefore locked, if you feel that you can contribute something useful to the topic, PM me, and I'll consider reopening it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.