TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the trac lok clutches in a 7.5 rear end and am trying to get it put back together. But I can't get the pre load spring that goes between the two side gears in the carrier back in. The service manual says to hit it with a hammer, thats not working. I tryed grabbing one side with pliers to squeeze it down as much as possible while sliding the other side in, that didn't work either. Anyone have any tips on how to get the pre load spring back in the carrier? Its a new spring too which makes it more difficult I am sure since it hasn't been worn at all, the old one was just plain missing when I took the rear end apart. Either been worked on before or it is a Friday truck.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got in in Friday, I did it by setting the spring on the bench and pushing the carrier down over it. The hammer was never going to get it in. Now, I have it almost all back otgether, I just can't get one of the c-clips to go in.

·
Registered
659 Posts
you sure you got the right axle in the right side, some used different length axles.......you almost threw me cuz tbirds\cougars dont have c clips, but i caught the last two words "Friday Truck" so I assumed you were workin on a ranger or something.
if the axles are the same, then have someone push in on the axle while you are trying to install the c clip, or gently tap it in with a hammer.

HAMMERS RULE!!!

Mike

WHAT?? I said gently..LOL:D

·
Registered
306 Posts
dugweed said:
HAMMERS RULE!!!
Yea, I've worked on a variety of cars for years, and I'd say one of the most important tools for working on a Ford is a big hammer... And a big can of rust penetrant... :D

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The axles never left their respective sides of the truck, it doesn't get to go in the garage so I couldn't just throw things around everywhere since its in the driveway. I got that C-clip in, it wasn't just tapping with a hammer, it was stick it in kind of funny and beat the piss out of it. Now, I have the center pin in, but haven't been able to get the hole lined up to get the retaining bolt in because I can't really see it to line it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts