TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last April we swapped the 3.8L for a 5.0L in my son's 93. His old car (93 5.0L) was hit pretty hard in the nose. He bought a car to fix the old one that had a 3.8 that was knocking. It was in better shape than his car; so we did the motor swap.

Being as he is 21; I know that 7.5 is on borrowed time. Plus, the car has drum brakes and his old bird had disks.

Anyone done this swap? Is there an issue with running the disks without antilock?

I was able to do the motor swap pretty straight forward thanks to suggestions from this group. Thank you in advance for what help you can pass along.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Did you try using search? I know its frustrating sometimes to read through all of it.

·
Super Moderator
7,669 Posts
The diff swap itself is a direct bolt-in. The driveshaft flange is the same, and the axles even use the same splines, so it is just a matter of dropping out the 7.5 pumpkin and bolting in the 8.8 unit in the same location.

As for the drum to disc swap, that gets a little more complicated. The issue is that the drum brake cars used a diagonal split system and the disc cars used a front/rear split. So basically the easiest way to do it is to use the disc brake car's master cylinder, run a new brake line to the rear and run the crossover line from the left rear brake hose to the right rear. If you have the complete rear disc spindles, then just unbolt them and swap them over, but if you don't, the drum spindles are actually the same exact part, you just need to drill out 2 holes for the caliper mounting bracket and swap over the all the disc brake parts. You will also need the parking brake cables off the dics brake car. So basically if you still have the donor car, it should be pretty straightforward, but if you don't, you might end up buying a bunch of new parts to make it work.

·
Administrator
8,220 Posts
Just double check the pumpkin to make sure you don't have an 8.8 already. Quite a few early V6 cars did come with an 8.8.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
7,669 Posts
For the 89-93 V6s, the 8.8, disc brakes, and ABS all came together, so if the car has drum brakes, it also has a 7.5.

·
Super Moderator
7,669 Posts
Yes, all V8 and SC MN12s came with 8.8s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts