TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· The Parts Guy
9,466 Posts
A stocker is good for 90k miles max. That's the mileage our Crown Vic had when it only would leave the right tire mark on a burnout. It still felt like the left tire was helping, just not enough to leave a mark.
As others have already pointed out, it depends on how/where the car was driven. I have a stock-stacked Traction-Lok with 167xxx miles on it currently that is still working great. I have another one with ~17xxx miles on it that is probably going to need a rebuild by 25k.

· Registered
1997 thunderbird LX
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Hey guys I just found this on the fb market place. Would it make sense to get it? I was gonna offer the guy 150 for it. Would it make sense to swap the whole thing or just swap my current clutch packs?

· Super Moderator
14,406 Posts
The link is Russian; You really want those?

· Registered
1997 thunderbird LX
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
@Grog6 haha that’s weird, the guy is here local to me in hermosa beach. Was just wondering if it’ll be a direct fit. Looks like I’d need the cobra axles too but they suckers don’t fit.

· The Parts Guy
9,466 Posts

· Registered
1997 thunderbird LX
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
@XR7-4.6 the guy said it doesn’t have the gears only LSD. It seems like it’s a bigger hassle for just the carbon clutch packs. I’d really like to go up in gear, the highway is what really puts me off that. I’m over here trying to save my chips so one day I can 6r swap the bird. Best of both worlds 😀

· Super Moderator
14,406 Posts
I wish the current site owners hadn't deleted or lost the pix of TrunkMonkey's broken shafts. That takes 550+ HP; save a bunch. :)

· Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
23,912 Posts
@XR7-4.6 the guy said it doesn’t have the gears only LSD. It seems like it’s a bigger hassle for just the carbon clutch packs. I’d really like to go up in gear, the highway is what really puts me off that. I’m over here trying to save my chips so one day I can 6r swap the bird. Best of both worlds 😀
Oh then it’s not such a good deal lol the Carbon clutches don’t last much longer than the paper so it’s probably due for a rebuild anyway and then it’s no different than a 31 spline carrier from a IRS explorer, hard pass.

· Super Moderator
14,406 Posts
Find someone to take your irs, and put the locker in, with gears, clutches, bearings, everything. Gear whine will drive you nuts. I think you need a case seperator to get the carrier out. Or, maybe a slide hammer. I can't remember. Also, the diff oil is the worst-smelling stuff I've ever smelled that wasn't dead. Using the kitchen table will get you divorced, lol.

Reactions: Kidd-7

· Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
23,912 Posts
Find someone to take your irs, and put the locker in, with gears, clutches, bearings, everything. Gear whine will drive you nuts. I think you need a case seperator to get the carrier out. Or, maybe a slide hammer. I can't remember. Also, the diff oil is the worst-smelling stuff I've ever smelled that wasn't dead. Using the kitchen table will get you divorced, lol.
With an iron pumpkin you don’t need a case spreader, another reason I don’t like aluminum

· The Parts Guy
9,466 Posts
21 - 36 of 36 Posts