TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 3.8 which came stock with the 7.5" inch open diff is it worth upgrading to an 8.8 differential because either way i plan on going trac-lok with 3.73's. Also if it really is worth swapping out my entire rear is it possible to use the complete 8.8 rear from a stang that came with trac-lok and 3.73's from the factory or no?? thanks

·
Registered
480 Posts
JL2K7388 said:
Also if it really is worth swapping out my entire rear is it possible to use the complete 8.8 rear from a stang that came with trac-lok and 3.73's from the factory or no?? thanks
mustang 8.8 wont work becuase it is solid axle. you can make your own custom 4 link setup back there to accomodate the solid axle but i wouldnt do it. i'd just build what you got or get an 8.8 IRS from a v-8 bird. just my .02.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ohh yeah i remember hearing that now it rings a bell thanks alot, but also is the 8.8 a great deal better than the 7.5 to go through the trouble?? thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
No Stangs came from the factory with 3.73s and traction lok in a 8.8 anyway. might as well just build one.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Decy said:
No Stangs came from the factory with 3.73s and traction lok in a 8.8 anyway. might as well just build one.

some prototpye's came with 3.73's factory. even though my 84 predator was built after the factory, it was ordered with 3.73 trac lock 8.8 rear end and had a 306 in it. some cars could be ordered that way, depended on how the owner wanted it built before they made the car.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The 8.8 is definitely the way to go. Just do yourself a favor and find a frpp centersection it already has 3.73s and trac lok. And its no trouble swapping you can have the centersections changed in a few hours. If you cant find an frpp pumpkin find one from a mark viii-theyre aluminum, and just have the parts installed in that.

·
Registered
178 Posts
94thunderchicken said:
some prototpye's came with 3.73's factory. even though my 84 predator was built after the factory, it was ordered with 3.73 trac lock 8.8 rear end and had a 306 in it. some cars could be ordered that way, depended on how the owner wanted it built before they made the car.
Does your door sticker have a "W" for the axle code? I'd like to see it, because it would be the first one I've ever seen in a Mustang. I've seen lots of Mustangs with axle code "6" (3.73 open) but they were four-bangers with automatics and 7.5 rears. I've seen lots of Fox T-Birds with "W" codes but those weren't Mustangs. Lots of Rangers and most older Explorers came with 3.73s and traction lok. Even the list you showed says it's generic and just because a code is listed it doesn't mean it was available in a Mustang.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
teal944.6 said:
The 8.8 is definitely the way to go. Just do yourself a favor and find a frpp centersection it already has 3.73s and trac lok. And its no trouble swapping you can have the centersections changed in a few hours. If you cant find an frpp pumpkin find one from a mark viii-theyre aluminum, and just have the parts installed in that.
the FRPP diff is no longer made.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
94thunderchicken said:
mustang 8.8 wont work becuase it is solid axle. you can make your own custom 4 link setup back there to accomodate the solid axle but i wouldnt do it. i'd just build what you got or get an 8.8 IRS from a v-8 bird. just my .02.

you cant four link a unibody without completely backhalving it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Decy said:
Does your door sticker have a "W" for the axle code? I'd like to see it, because it would be the first one I've ever seen in a Mustang. I've seen lots of Mustangs with axle code "6" (3.73 open) but they were four-bangers with automatics and 7.5 rears. I've seen lots of Fox T-Birds with "W" codes but those weren't Mustangs. Lots of Rangers and most older Explorers came with 3.73s and traction lok. Even the list you showed says it's generic and just because a code is listed it doesn't mean it was available in a Mustang.
if you would have read my post a little better you would have seen that i said "it was built after the factory". my 84 Predator came with 3.08 trac-lock and a 7.5" rear from the ford plant in dearborn, MI. you need to read up on the predator mustang if you havent before, you would see that they can be ordered with any engine modifications and your choice of rearend. i never said once that it came from ford that way. i've seen people go through the trouble just to get a door sticker that says it has a trac-lock 3.73 from the factory, but it isnt a "true" trac-lock car. so yes your right on one thing that the mustang from the ford factory didnt come with 3.73 trac-lock rearend, but it could be ordered to be installed after the owner purchased it. sorry if i worded it wrong, but this is what i meant.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My only point all along was that NO MUSTANG CAME WITH 3.73S AND TRACTION LOK IN A 8.8 REAR FROM THE FACTORY. I don't care what could be ordered aftermarket from Predator, Saleen, Roush or whoever. Anybody could get gears installed at shops everywhere. The original poster had the assumption that Mustangs came with this ratio from the Ford Factory. I only pointed out that they didn't. I'm sure it's possible that prototypes did get 3.73s, but prototypes weren't available for sale to the public. I've heard of Predator. Don't care. I've seen plenty of Saleen, ASC McLaren, and Roush Mustangs. Don't care either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
IRS Case

Does anyone know if an aluminum IRS case from a late Explorer is the same as a '95 Thunderbird LX? The T-Bird has an 8.8 cast iron case. Thanks

·
Registered
955 Posts
if your going through the trouble of a 8.8" swap make sure to grab the half shafts too! they are much stronger the the weak 7.5's

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Can you show us pictures of the different chafts. I know of 3 different productin halfshaft. The markVIII ones, SC fat shafts and everything else.
Alan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts