TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The differential would need to have come out of an IRS car to work. I believe that it could be machined to work though, but not worth the effort. So the answer is that it won't work in your car.

Russell

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Depends on how much you want to put into it. As long as it's 28 spline it'll work, but it doesn't have the bevels on the inside of the side gears. The only problem running this way, is that if you ever have to take the halfshafts out, you have to drop the pumpkin, and pop the circlips off, instead of just prying them out, it's a PITA. Or you could order the correct side gears from Dan Newman, I know of at least 1 person who did it that way. Or your 3rd option, and the one I'm using is to have the bevel machined into the side gears, but I have access to a machine shop, I don't know how much you'd have to pay to have it done though. And don't forget to rebuild it before it goes in, that thing looks like it's pretty well used and abused.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
You can get it from FRPP, but it's more expensive than just buying the whole pumpkin already setup with 3.73's. If you need to go a cheap route, try finding someone parting out a SC, and get the rear out of it, I've seen most go for about $125 complete, then just switch out gears.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I believe the SCs that came with traction control had open rearends though. All other SCs 89-95 had trac lok, which I would recommend.

Russell

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
absolutely. i dont have the money now, but i am planning my summer project. trying to decide if i will do better to hang with the cougar, or switch to a mustang. it seems with the cougar i have alot of ground to make up just to get even with the mustangs. but i love the ride and comfort of my car, and dare i say it is pretty. i want to go to 4.10's in the rear, get a new 4R70W mustang trans, and go to pi heads. then bolt ons from there. but this rear end problem is killing me. any suggestions anyone?:confused:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats not too bad on the money really. and besides i want to go with forced induction eventually. who's justin?? if that takes care of the rear, how to handle the trans situation? i know the engine no problem, but i dont know drivetrains to well and i do not want to F' thing up. sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Guys,
Just for your info, No Mark VIII came with traction lock all had open rear ends with 308's or 327's if it was a LSC. I have the latter, and I'm trying to put 410's in it now and I also need a t-lock unit from an IRS rear( i have the gears). The benefit of a Mark VIII pumpkin is it is all aluminum. Mark M.

·
Registered
169 Posts
another relatively cheap alternative is to go to a junkyard, find a T-Bird/Cougar with a track-lok and pull the whole pumpkin. Order a tracklok rebuild kit and FRPP gears from 5 star Ford. slap it all together and call it a day. it helps alot if you have someone there who has done an 8.8 rebuild before. a good air powered impact wrech will be a big help too.

i did it this way and also put in new bearings throughout and spent a little less than $350.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
That's if you have the knowledge and special tools to do it yourself. You can't just bolt gears in and them work properly, the have to be shimmed so the backlash is correct. There are a couple really easy ways to do this, but it's time consuming for the most part, for someone who doesn't really KNOW how to do it. If you can't do it yourself, the labor costs for having someone install them will eat you alive. I've seen guys pay $250 in labor, plus parts. If you live close to me, or are ever in the area, come by and I'll switch them out for you, shouldn't take more than a couple hours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How do I know if my t-bird came with traction lock?? maybe I missed it in the reply's , do all 4.6's come with it, if not, is there some way I can find out without playing in that stinky a$$ oil?? was slipping on some ice with one wheel, going nowhere, so if I know that I have it, Ill have to fix it

Matt G.
Cincinnati, OH
1996 4.6L Thunderbird LX

1 - 20 of 28 Posts