TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about the 6.9 diesel in the F-350's? I just snagged this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330103629407

for a great price, but I don't know jack about the diesels. Only that they are expensive to work on/rebuild. (But I have a built spare 460 I was building for my 69 that I'm sure would fit in this truck :D )

Is there anything I should check on besides the obvious general automotive type things?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
If it runs I'll buy the 6.9 when you swap the 460 in.... so long as you don't want me to fund your retirement on it. :) I've got an 88 7.3 that I'm not sure is any good. No shipping required, I can ride up and get it.

·
Jack of all trades, Master of none
600 Posts
I had an 85 Ford 3/4 ton 4x4 deisel a long time ago. I would guess it was the 6.9 but I honestly don't remember. I know that was a tough freaking engine. The only work I did to it was replacing the block heater. Other than that, it ran liek a champ.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
It would have been a 6.9. The IDI 6.9s are killer-durable motors, very simple design.

http://www.oilburners.net

Check out their 6.9 and 7.3 IDI section, those guys know everything, way more 6.9 and 7.3 knowledge than FTE has.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had an 85 Ford 3/4 ton 4x4 deisel a long time ago. I would guess it was the 6.9 but I honestly don't remember. I know that was a tough freaking engine. The only work I did to it was replacing the block heater. Other than that, it ran liek a champ.
Should have been, as the first year for the 7.3s was around '88. I don't know how "good" 6.9s are but they did have a common problem. I don't quite remember what it was though, wish I could be of more help there. For more power check out ATS, they have a nice turbo kit for it, MUCH more affordable than Banks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The only common problem I know of on these motors is Cavitation causing pinholes in the cylinder walls. If I remember correctly, that was more of a problem on the 7.3 than the 6.9 though. We have a 7.3 and the only real problems we've had with it are on the glowplug system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts