TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this where I would post this..... I got a 2dr. Crown Vic and the engine is well.... horrible runs like complete crap but has low miliage. I have a buddy wth a 351w and trans out of an old ford F100. Could any one tell me whats all would be involved in swapping the 351w and trans into a 85 Crown Vic. I imagine I would able to use 5.0 motor mounts for the 351. I'm not sure what trans is being used but I know its not an AOD, whats the chances of being able to use the factory driveshaft? And is there any shorty headers the would be able to be used in this applications? Any clearence issues? Shift linkage?

Oh yeah and would any know if I would be able to any clear headlight pieces to replace amber pieces on the front?

Well thanks for taking time to read this! I you jave any links that could help please post them, see I know this isn't a Crown Vic site but for some reason I can't post on CrownVic.net the site will not let create an account. Well thanks again!!!

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
well the engine should bolt in fine, the tranny should bolt up fine.....my brother has a 4 door LTD, which we swapped the motor for a 92, 5.0, DPS mustang engine...we swapped the CFI for a carbed setup, we also run Mustang exhaust on it. For now, we have stock 5.0 mustang shorties on it, going into a mustang h-pipe thats dumped with stock 95 t-bird mufflers(actually sounds pretty good).

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
Should bolt right in just fine. You will need a 351W double hump oil pan cause the 5.0 one is not the same. Timing cover is interchangable. 5.0 mounts will bolt up. Trans will bolt up just fine, but I don't know how long it will last since it was only intended to handle about 150hp. The intake manifold is different for the 351, so you will need to either use the one off the truck, or get an aftermarket one. Also your exhaust won't bolt up. The manifolds will bolt to the heads, but they will be further apart so your Y-pipe won't line up, so you will have to do something about that at the same time. Other than those things, you should be good to go.

Mike

·
Registered
523 Posts
does it run like crap because it needs a tune up or because its got a rod knock
id suggest if the car can be tuned up and run fine dont waste the effort

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it not as simple as the tune up but not as difficult as an engine swap but.... I got the engine and think it would be awesome to have the 351 in the vic.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Its simple. I did the same thing with my old 85 Grand Marquis. Ditched the CFI for a carb. You can get the double sump pan from any place that sells 351 swap parts for fox stangs.

And ya, the 351 is awesome in those cars :headbang:

The 351 was an option for the Grand Marquis so parts do exist

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
As long as you don't stick the Variable Venturi carb on top of it like the stock 351 Vics had, then you're all set, lol... Those things are the worst. People complain about the CFI on the 84-85 Vics, but that carb takes the prize.

My DD is an 84 Vic 5.0 w/ CFI and I have it running just like it should. If you need help getting yours running right, just ask. I've seen a lot of strange things owning this car for so long that I'd like to think I know a thing or 2.

If you are just thinking of dropping a stock 351 in it, then you may want to build it up. IMHO, it's not worth the effort to drop a 351 in it that has low compression, low horse, and low torque. Might as well just stick w/ the 5.0 at that point. They were what, all of 140hp and 190ft/lbs of torque? It takes a lot to get that box moving, just like a bird.

I also have an account over on CV.net, so if you really need to post something over there, just email it to me and I'll do it for ya.

Jay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts