TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A kid at my school has a 86 z28 camaro with the 305 motor. So we take a ride for smokes during our break. I was just wondering what these cars run in the quarter? It did not feel fast at all, nor did it sound fast. It is stock except a shift kit.

Any ideas?

Justin

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I believe they are about the same as our cars (stock) give or take a couple 10ths of a sec. I know though many around me that are actually still stock have old motors and run a little slower then us. Some have 350s since they were a easy swap and those should woop a stock tbird (v8s).
Im very fond of the 80s monte carlo SSs and they have the same engine. Its the same car with a different body and some suspension stuff. I know that one that is well taken care of should be about the same as our cars.

Anyone else have info on the camaro?

-Shawn

·
Registered
510 Posts
According to my 1986 car & driver a 1985 IROC camaro 305 w/ tuned port injection auto ran 15.92 @ 89.2mph

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
glowing escape said:
well.. i stand corrected. maybe it was a different yeear. -greg

Well back then they were that fast. Put 15 years on that engine and it will probably but a little slower. I dont know about a whole second but I should get some wear and tear. When I was reading the Monte Carlo SS forums often I remember times being about what we had. I think everything from 15.9-16.5 (dont remember exact times but they were something like that).

-Shawn

·
Registered
366 Posts
the TPI motors were decently quick... those were in the Z28 and the trans am. The non HO motors were dogs with only 165 HP and 230 ft lb.... but... my friend made his non HO motor a 13 second motor on an 86 bird with about 1000 in mods (most of which he got for free).

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Shawn40th said:
I dont know about a whole second but I should get some wear and tear.
Bah, that just means they are broken in. ;)

JL has what, near 200k on his now?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Justin... they are DOGS all the way! I'm not sure what they run... but I know a guy that has a (87 maybe) Camaro 305 and it's a pig. I ran him a few times and every single time I left him waaaaay back. He has headers/full flowmaster exhaust/ intake/ edelbrock dbl carbs and a few other things done to it. It sounds bad a$$ though:D! Heck, my sister's old Mazda 626 (4 cyl. 5 spd.) smoked a couple IROC's, hahahaha :uppoint:

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
An IROC is gonna be faster than a regular Camaro or a Z-28. I raced an '86 305 with my '91 V-6 3 times. Won the first time, lost the 2nd time, and he wrecked his tranny on the 3rd try so I won 2 outta 3. A 4.6L would spank this thing like nothing.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I ran against one my first time at the track with the 4.2. My run was like a 16.5 and he lost by a few car lengths... Maybe high 16s-- maybe even 17s.

PJ

·
Registered
212 Posts
I got an 86 IROC...

I put a 350 HO in it. NEver took it to the track but it is fast. The 305 that was in it sucks!!! My 3.8 is about the same. I would love to try a race with a 4.6 bird just to see.

·
Registered
100 Posts
JustinH said:
A kid at my school has a 86 z28 camaro with the 305 motor. So we take a ride for smokes during our break. I was just wondering what these cars run in the quarter? It did not feel fast at all, nor did it sound fast. It is stock except a shift kit.

Any ideas?

Justin
Guess I will chime in here to set the record strait and clean up some mis-information.

The 1986 model year had (3!) different 305ci engines, all with different capabilities.

LG4 9.5:1 305 [email protected] [email protected] 4bbl 3.23, 3.73 (manual xmission)
LG4 9.5:1 305 [email protected] [email protected] 4bbl 2.73 (auto xmission)
L69 9.5:1 305 [email protected] [email protected] 4bblHO 3.23, 3.73 (manual xmission only)
LB9 9.5:1 305 [email protected] [email protected] TPI 2.73, 3.42 (auto xmission only)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Shawn40th said:
I believe they are about the same as our cars (stock) give or take a couple 10ths of a sec. I know though many around me that are actually still stock have old motors and run a little slower then us. Some have 350s since they were a easy swap and those should woop a stock tbird (v8s).
Im very fond of the 80s monte carlo SSs and they have the same engine. Its the same car with a different body and some suspension stuff. I know that one that is well taken care of should be about the same as our cars.

Anyone else have info on the camaro?

-Shawn
Just a side note, the monte carlo SS was ONLY available with the L69 305HO engine/2004R automatic setup. The L69 was an option for the camaro until 1986.

·
Registered
100 Posts
glowing escape said:
wasnt the 305 a dog? i've heard them runnign 17s.... -greg
That's actually about right for an LG4 305....

·
Registered
100 Posts
SC_Steve said:
Justin... they are DOGS all the way! I'm not sure what they run... but I know a guy that has a (87 maybe) Camaro 305 and it's a pig. I ran him a few times and every single time I left him waaaaay back. He has headers/full flowmaster exhaust/ intake/ edelbrock dbl carbs and a few other things done to it. It sounds bad a$$ though:D! Heck, my sister's old Mazda 626 (4 cyl. 5 spd.) smoked a couple IROC's, hahahaha :uppoint:

Again, it depends on the car/drivetrain setup. The trouble with the thirdgen cars was there were sooo many powertrain combinations available, and people tend to stereotype.

·
Registered
100 Posts
TurboCat said:
An IROC is gonna be faster than a regular Camaro or a Z-28. I raced an '86 305 with my '91 V-6 3 times. Won the first time, lost the 2nd time, and he wrecked his tranny on the 3rd try so I won 2 outta 3. A 4.6L would spank this thing like nothing.

Nope. IROC-Z (otherwise called option code B4Z) was a -handling- package only. The base IROC engine was the SAME as the base Z28 engine. Z28 had to be added to order IROC-Z. However, starting in 1987, the L98 350 TPI motor was available, but for IROC-Z level cars -only-. There were NO stock 350 Z28's until 1991, when IROC-Z was dropped from production at the termination of chevrolet's International Race Of Champions contract.

On another note, my IROC would blow the doors off of either of my 4.6L cars, no questions asked. Then again, it's not exactly stock, either. ;)

·
ChatWhore
159 Posts
well

it is not a camero but I knew a guy with a 305 HO in an 89 firebird and it was a REAL dog i think his best pass was a 17.19.....I trounced him quite thoroughly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts