TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to know... Is my car kinda too high of milage to mod? I have 87,000 miles on my V8 and a guy on the C and D forums told me that I shouldn't and just save up for a new car...

Your thoughts??

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
No way. Mine has 93K and next week it is going in for a ton of mods. I have been buying stuff and putting it away in the garage for almost a year. Now that time has finally come to put it all on. My car runs great and just as strong as it did when I got it. As long as all the maintenance has been done your car should run for a long time. Look at the miles some of the guys on this board have and you will get a better idea
of how long these things will last.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I bought my car at 116k and didn't really start with the mods until around 123k. The way the mods are going, before long the only thing that is going to have the 143k that the odometer reads is the odometer itself :). Why mod a low mileage car, you're just taking off perfectly good parts. With a high mileage car, you start modding, and if soemthing breaks, you upgrade.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car runs on 10W-30 Mobil 1 SuperSyn now, and I have replaced the intake manifold and idler for maintenance (that's about it).

So now.... 1997 Thunderbird LX Exclusively Recommends Mobil 1

:D :D :D

I believe I need to mention I go to the University of Kentucky right now, and I go home about every weekend... Would that make any difference.. My grandfathers both claim V8's run practically forever and my dad's dad is hardcore Ford and claims the motor runs excellent (he used to own a XR7 Cougar with only 30k MILES!!!! It was NEVER DRIVEN)

Please give me advice! I am for real starting to want to mod the T-Bird since I read on one of your guys signatures that you have under 14 quarter mile and under 9 eighth mile which is really good... Is that on automatic transmission, or did you all switch the auto out?

I'm sorry for all the ?'s, but if I mod the car, I just want to be safe about it, it's all I got, and I can't afford for it to break down at all. I really really really want a powerful street car to shut those ricers (and V6 mustangs) down.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I just graduated in December. I bought my car in September of 01, and have put nearly 30,000 miles on it and I didn't drive it last winter (from late Nov.-Mar., 5 months) at all (bought a beater truck for the Nebraska winters). My stock engine was up to 123k or so, I bought my new engine with 83k or so and it is pushing 100k now. One guy on here has over 200k and drives his car something like 116 miles per day. They run good for a long time when taken care of. Do one mod as soon as you can though. check out the tech articles and read up on the tranny section and do the shift kit mod (j-mod). It will help your tranny, get an aftermarket cooler on there too.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See this also brings up another problem.. I love cars to death.. but my experience of actually working on them... is uh.. very limited..

Are most modifications easy enough to do myself? I really can't break down the engine to replace pistons or anything like that at all because I don't have a shop. I don't even have a freakin torque wrench.. :(

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
J-MOD! The j-mod is a type of shift kit that was designed by the actual ford engineer who designed your transmission. It's the best thing you can do for your 94+ car. Go check out the tech artciles, the link is on the front page, then go into transmission section and check out the jerry mod stuff. This is the first thing I'll ever do if I buy a 94+ bird/cat. In fact, I bought a 95 not too long ago and did the j-mod first thing. You can do the j-mod to different degrees depending on what you want out of it and what kind of power you are putting through it, in order to handle it.

There aren't that many people who've swapped to a manual but it's a pretty achievable goal if that's what you're looking for.

btw, my 93 v6 has 141k miles and it's modded pretty decently and I'm getting ready to throw more stuff in soon. My 95 has 91k miles and it'll be getting it's fair share of mods also.

-Thomas

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:
I don't even have a freakin torque wrench.. :(
Get one! The beam style are cheap and MUCH more accurate than the ratcheting type.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like I said once before, I really wanna mod my car .... REALLY bad, but I can't afford the chance of screwing up if the mods are hard to do. If I take it to a shop does it cost a lot of money to have them do the mod for me if I get the part?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GreenBird said:

Get one! The beam style are cheap and MUCH more accurate than the ratcheting type.
Hmm.. I'll check into it when I return home this weekend. What tools will I need to perform basic mods? I know a torque wrench would be a nice asset to any kind of car work in the first place.

I must ask once again, are most mods doable by the average guy? Or do I need to take it to the shop everytime I want it to be modded?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Everyone on this board was at one time the "average guy" and we all started somewhere. I knew nothing about cars let alone the mn12 4 years ago. First thing I bought was a K&N filter. Then I upgraded to a cold air intake. Then it just progressed from there. If you just start out small and slowly grow in your mechanical abilities it'll all turn out well. I think you're reading way too deeply into the difficulty of things. Stuff it's pretty easy to do. Even the J-Mod looks difficult when reading about it. But when I did it it was so simple I was totally amazed.

A basic 190pc craftsman set from Sears will get you a looong way.

-Thomas

·
Registered
192 Posts
Doable mods for a novice? Ok, A chip from one of the recomended( Ford Chip, Dennis rienhart, Apten) With a larger maf, Under drive pullies, K&N Filter and removed air silencer. You may want to check around for help with the J-Mod if you are really that new at modding a car. So Since you'll be mooching labor get them to help install A markVII converter. Hopefully that can get you in the low 15's. Or do like me and buy a nitrous system as your first mod. Even a 75hp system should net mid 14's.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:
I was wanting to know... Is my car kinda too high of milage to mod? I have 87,000 miles on my V8 and a guy on the C and D forums told me that I shouldn't and just save up for a new car...

Your thoughts??
I started upgrading/modding my car when there was about 172,000 miles on it...around late June, 2002 (when I came across the old forums of TCCoA). As long as you take good care of the car, and it's reliable and sound, I don't think mileage is that great an issue.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
intake exhaust and other minotr bolt ons....if you cant do the j-mod a shop may do it for you if you give them the right instructions for not half cheap...the actualy part themselves only cost no much more then 200 dollars with the fluid....witch is the most expensive cost.....if i was really conservative and stil wanted to mod my vehicle id go buy a 99+ Mustang GT MAF sensor and intake tube (any other cold air....an apten chip.....asp unerdrive pulley's and a dynomaxcatback exhaust....if you want to get into some biger stuff....and aftermarket upper plenum with tb is a good thing...and true dual exshaust....but thats strictly a shop thing

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I did the j mod to my cat this winter and the only insides of a tranny i had ever seen were those of an 1805 Massy Ferg. 4wd tractor (when I was awee little feller) and those in the tech articles about the jmod. I tore into mine and never really had any problems, except not being able to look at and recognize what i was looking at in the pic, but thats a different story. It is very easy to do. and then i felt confident enough to help Thomas do his. And as far as underdrive pulleys, chip, and k&n go, there really isn't much to screw up. true it could be done, but highly unlikely. I had ~118,000 miles on mine when i started. It's run great ever since.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You've got a '97... you've got it made.. go for it...

My '96 had 116,000 on it before I did my first mod, which was a true dual exhaust... I waited until the extended warranty was up so I wouldn't get hassled for warranty work...

Next cam the pulleys, the GT MAF, the chip, the CAI.. and I'm in the 14's

At about 120,000 came the high stall TC, Reinhart trans, Reinhart Driveshaft, Cobra pumpkin... and I'm in the low 14's.

At 132,000 I had PNP heads, custom ground compcams, pnp upper plenum/75mm TB and I'm in the mid 13's.

All this time the car is running good and strong and I'm alternating driving it and my stock '95 as a daily driver... No problems, no regrets...

If you read up on what info you find here and pay attention, you will do just fine...

By the way, I cannot work on my car where I live (Condo Comandos at war), so I found a guy that would do the work ... it cost me, but I never had any problems after an install... I bet there is probably a TCCoA member somewhere near where you are at that is just dying to help you...

Good luck
-mike

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hmm.. Maybe! I have been thinking about joining TCCoA because of all the serious mod discounts.. I probably will when I get some extra money. I was wondering then, is there anywhere cheaper I could get the K and N 9" cone filter than Auto Zone (they charge 35 to 50 dollars where I live), and to install the cold air intake I just replace the tube that goes to the OHC and the Mass air flow sensor correct?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys just wanted to say thanks a bunch and I'm definitely gonna get my car modded now... Thanks again for your advice / ideas!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
unless you buy a gt intake tube dont touch your intake tube...that your talking about...from the throttle body (the ohc) to the maf sensor....the k&n 9" cones good but id just take out the intake silecer and go with a panel filter....but if you want the cone thats a pretty good mod....id shoot for some drivetrain mods and maybe some gears and a chip...if i was you...i will be getin 4.10s as soon as i can afford them myself....and maybe before that true duals

1 - 20 of 36 Posts