TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone is selling one and wants 3 grand for it.

Is it just me or is that wayy too much?

It has dual exhaust so I'm guessing its the 5.0, and its got a dent on the rear quarter.

Doesn't need any work from the looks and its an LS, not an XR.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It depends on condition and mileage. If it's "nice" on the inside and out aside from the dent $3k doesn't sound like too much but if it needs engine, tranny, suspension and interior work or rust pass on it.

If it's in NH for years really take a hard look at the floors and torque boxes. Another area to check as you already know is around the back window for filler. The window tracks are not manufactured by anyone and the outer window seals are quite expensive new. Just the outers at Steele Rubber are over $200. I don't think the inners that attach to the door panels are available. Take a magnet and check the rockers, lower doors and rear quarter lips for filler.

Otherwise the fox body Cougars are great IMO.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to have this one, it looks amazingly clean.
I took a pic while I was looking at it.
It looks like it has almost no rust, but 3k seems steep.
I may try to talk him down a lot and see what I can get.
I guess he bought it new, and the price is just cause he loves the car or something.

I'll call him later this week and see what I can do.

Do duals mean 5.0?
Or could it be a v6?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Dang NH is a pretty state.

Now that there's a picture it's an decent condition LS. I wouldn't pay $3k for it. Out here in the desert that car would go for about $1500. Back east it should be more just due to the fact that it has good sheet metal. The window seals look good in the photo and it has tilt and cruise and possibly the premium sound. Probably power seat and windows too.

If I was back there I be willing to pay 2-2500 if no rot and nice upholstery. Nice condition in the photo.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang NH is a pretty state.

Now that there's a picture it's an decent condition LS. I wouldn't pay $3k for it. Out here in the desert that car would go for about $1500. Back east it should be more just due to the fact that it has good sheet metal. The window seals look good in the photo and it has tilt and cruise and possibly the premium sound. Probably power seat and windows too.

If I was back there I be willing to pay 2-2500 if no rot and nice upholstery. Nice condition in the photo.
I talked to my neighbor who knows plenty about the Cougars/Mark VII's and he said he would pay 800 for it.
Mostly cause the dent on it and that its been sitting on grass like that for who knows how long.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went back and called him, he said he wants 2500 for it, which imo is still pricey.
In a month or so if the cars still there I'm gonna see what he wants.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
It's not worth $3,000.

No Cougar or Thunderbird with a 5.0 V8 got dual exhaust in 1987; only the '88 5.0 cars had factory dual exhaust.
It's either an '88 5.0 or an '87 with aftermarket-added dual exhaust.

The cornering lamps and illuminated entry are nice options.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not worth $3,000.

No Cougar or Thunderbird with a 5.0 V8 got dual exhaust in 1987; only the '88 5.0 cars had factory dual exhaust.
It's either an '88 5.0 or an '87 with aftermarket-added dual exhaust.

The cornering lamps and illuminated entry are nice options.
When I called him he said it was an 88.
The person who called either messed up and said 87 on accident, or he screwed up one way or another.

But it is an 88.
72k miles.
Digi dash, which I hate, but I can live with it.
Hopefully he realizes its not worth what he wants and drops the price.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
It's more than likely a 5.0, which is obviously far better than the 3.8 for a multitude of reasons. That's one element in my buying criteria for a Fox, actually. You can modify it to the roof. The car looks like it has good options.

The Disco Dash or Star Wars Gauges, as they are colloquially known within the community, were cutting-edge for their time. Believe it or not, it has been documented that they are more accurate than the analog gauges. Different sending units, too, for what it's worth.

I like the Disco Dash:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's more than likely a 5.0, which is obviously far better than the 3.8 for a multitude of reasons. That's one element in my buying criteria for a Fox, actually. You can modify it to the roof. The car looks like it has good options.

The Disco Dash or Star Wars Gauges, as they are colloquially known within the community, were cutting-edge for their time. Believe it or not, it has been documented that they are more accurate than the analog gauges. Different sending units, too, for what it's worth.

I like the Disco Dash:

I like looking down and seeing needles, and knowing that I'm going 40 without reading anything.
If I get the car, I'd get used to it though.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
You would get used to it; trust me. I had the digital dash in my '86 and it was great. I used to press a button and convert it to Km/Hr on the fly, which was great on interstate trips. Backseat passengers would flip out thinking we were doing 115 MPH because they couldn't read the KM on the readout. Hilarious.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You would get used to it; trust me. I had the digital dash in my '86 and it was great. I used to press a button and convert it to Km/Hr on the fly, which was great on interstate trips. Backseat passengers would flip out thinking we were doing 115 MPH because they couldn't read the KM on the readout. Hilarious.
My teacher told us a story about him doing that to his kid xD
My girlfriend would **** bricks if I did that to her.
I've had my current Cougar up to 100ish on the interstate with her in it lol
Lucky she was too busy looking out the window, and not how fast I was going.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
My teacher told us a story about him doing that to his kid xD
My girlfriend would **** bricks if I did that to her.
I've had my current Cougar up to 100ish on the interstate with her in it lol
Lucky she was too busy looking out the window, and not how fast I was going.
My buddy shat bricks when I got the needle on my '89 3 gauge 85MPH cluster to point straight down... (85MPH is on the right)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I made my friend **** bricks in my neighbors Mark VII xD

Thing launches like hell.
Haha nice, my Tbird is the opposite. Its a gutless wonder under 30MPH... but above 70MPH it just keeps pulling and pulling. :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha nice, my Tbird is the opposite. Its a gutless wonder under 30MPH... but above 70MPH it just keeps pulling and pulling. :D
My Cougar pulls pretty good once it hits 3grand in any gear xD

My girlfriend hates the sound from 3k til shift at 5k or so.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
My Cougar pulls pretty good once it hits 3grand in any gear xD

My girlfriend hates the sound from 3k til shift at 5k or so.
I'd tell you what RPM mine has power at but I dont even have a tach. :tongue: :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd tell you what RPM mine has power at but I dont even have a tach. :tongue: :D
I hate not having a tach D:

Any car I have driven without a tach, especially a manual gearbox, has ended in my getting pissed off and giving up driving it.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I hate not having a tach D:

Any car I have driven without a tach, especially a manual gearbox, has ended in my getting pissed off and giving up driving it.
You would give up on driving a car because it doesnt have a tach? It takes like 10min. install a tach, 20 if you give a damn and want it to look pretty.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts