Registered
789 Posts

·
Registered
6,195 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
More articles about the same - the story itself is legitimate, even if the facts are smeared. Considering the only way we know the car gets 100+ mpg is because the guy making it says so, it's dubious.

Although as this article points out, he does have a business partner in a real company - for a company to commit to, at the very least, funding him, there has to be some basis to what he's saying.
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080701/BUSINESS02/807010341/0/BUSINESS03

And his reasoning for not showing off the technology used in the engine is because he hasn't secured patents on it yet.
http://www.wptv.com/content/aroundtheweb/story.aspx?content_id=34d8188a-fd19-4e52-8323-e78428b38763

And there's a bunch of other articles and all that about this guy, most of them are just copies of the same stuff.
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/topic/Doug+Pelmear/index.html

It should be interesting to see if this ever pans out, though.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Here are just a couple of my concerns:

"I'm an optimist, and I think people need to know there is hope out there," Pelmear told the Toledo Blade. "That's why I decided to enter the X Prize race. I could have sold this [technology] off, but then people might not have seen it.
If he is SO concerned about people seeing his technology and not about selling it or making money off of it… then why doesn’t he give at least some basic specifics as to the technology.

Pelmear told television station WNWO that the car hasn't traded power for miles per gallon. Pelmear said the car has 400 horsepower, goes well over 100 mph and can go from zero to 60 mph in three seconds.
Can a 400 hp, 500 ft. lb torque, 87 Mustang, physically go 0 – 60 in 3 seconds? 2008 Vette Z06: 505 hp and 470 ft. lb of torque goes 0-60 in 3.7 seconds.

Sorry, but without something more specific I’m going to call :bs:

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't think he's not after money (double-negative), but I think this is a way for him to get EXTRA money and some major publicity.

By selling his technology to, let's just say Ford, for example, he'd get $5 million. By participating in this contest, the X Prize race, he stands to win $10 million from Progressive. And even after he wins, he could probably still sell the technology to Ford for $5 million, or even more, seeing as it's a proven, prize-winning, successful design (provided the rules of the contest don't prohibit the sale of the technology, and I don't see why they would). And here's the kicker - even if he doesn't win the contest, if his design still proves to be efficient and powerful, some company will probably STILL buy his technology.

This is, of course, if he's not full of crap in the first place.

·
Registered
474 Posts

Can a 400 hp, 500 ft. lb torque, 87 Mustang, physically go 0 – 60 in 3 seconds? 2008 Vette Z06: 505 hp and 470 ft. lb of torque goes 0-60 in 3.7 seconds.

I guess its like having a 12 second car. It can be 12.999999999 or 12 flat. Either way its a 12 second car. Mabie thats what he is doing.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Internal combustion engines are horribly inefficient, hence all of the heat they create. Theoretically, increasing the engine's efficiency will increase both power and economy, since less energy is wasted as heat.

So perhaps trying to increase that efficiency would be a good course of action along with alternate fuel vehicles in an effort to maximize the economy of the world's vehicles. I'm not a physicist, but I don't see why that wouldn't be a beneficial approach to rising interest in higher economy cars.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I'd believe it with a prius...maybe, but a mustang? hahahaha, make me laugh more lol :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I'd believe it with a prius...maybe, but a mustang? hahahaha, make me laugh more lol :rolleyes:
Why? The Prius' engine really isn't any better in terms of efficiency, it just uses alternate means of power to conserve fuel (electric power). This guy has apparently made the engine itself more efficient, so the type/size of engine is irrelevant for this experiment.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
I'm trying to figure out of Local6.com is a real news site, or fake. The link was on Fark.com, so it could be either.

local6 is real. its an "actual" news source. WKMG is orlando.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i tell you why this guy dont show real data. if he does the oil companies will have him erased if he dont sell out to them. you might ask why i say this. well if something like this hit the market then who do you think would suffer?? oil companies would, granted they would still be making money but do you think they wanna loose their highest profits ever due to some guy who actually developed a system that can make a small block v8 push 100 mpg with out giving up power?

·
Registered
741 Posts
i tell you why this guy dont show real data. if he does the oil companies will have him erased if he dont sell out to them. you might ask why i say this. well if something like this hit the market then who do you think would suffer?? oil companies would, granted they would still be making money but do you think they wanna loose their highest profits ever due to some guy who actually developed a system that can make a small block v8 push 100 mpg with out giving up power?

Um, he hasn't given any data, but he's given out a name and a town. If any oil company REALLY wanted to find out more about this vehicle, it wouldn't be difficult to do so - he's got to keep things written down somewhere.

I still think the patent angle or this guy being totally full of crap are the two most likely reasons he hasn't said more.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Wow, another conspiracy theorist. What if a struggling car company like FoMoCo bought his "technology". Don't you think that would save Ford. Don't you think Ford could also "save his life" LOL :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow, another conspiracy theorist. What if a struggling car company like FoMoCo bought his "technology". Don't you think that would save Ford. Don't you think Ford could also "save his life" LOL :)
yea i agree with that, but i definatly think that the oil co is out to get us all :tongue:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts