TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to get the turbo coupe, and I am considering going with a V8 in it...since it has the T-5 maual trans. in it, it will bolt up to the 5.0 V8 right? or is it possible to go with a T-45 and a 4.6 V8 if I went with say, a stang or bird EEC? If I keep the 2.3 turbo (since it is a crate engine with only 35K on it) how is the performance out of it if everything is running right? How does a stock 5 speed 87 TC compare to a 96 4.6 t-bird?

Thanks,

Earl

·
Registered
859 Posts
Turbo Coupes are really easy and cheap to make them go fast. It would take less money, IMO, to make the TC faster then the 4.6L. Stock vs. Stock, I would say they are fairly close. Again, IMO.

Thomas

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
No need to change the engine. The 2.3 turbo four has plenty of potential.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
I had a turbo 2.3 Cougar with the T-5 manual in it. I modified it to the point where it would easily outrun my '96 4.6 Cougar, but it was time consuming to keep it running well. I broke a lot of things on that car.
With that said, the engines respond very well to high boost and are a total blast to drive. I would keep the 2.3 in the car.

Regarding the 5.0 swap, be aware that the Turbo Coupe's T-5 has different internals over the 5.0 T-5. You will likely grenade the gearbox if you stick a high-torque engine in front of it.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
No need to change the engine. The 2.3 turbo four has plenty of potential.
After seven and a half years I bet Earl has already decided whether to go with the 2.3 or 4.6. :)

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heh, wow...I was going to buy that car for 250 bucks, but it never came together...probably for the best...man that sure was a long time ago...I think that was my first post in these forums after the changeover from the bizzaro forum setup...it's funny I look through all my OLD posts and I don't even remember half the stuff I mentioned over the years...

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Oops. I didn't even check the post dates. Why was this brought back from the crypt?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I like ancient thread revivals. TCCOA ftw.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Oops. I didn't even check the post dates. Why was this brought back from the crypt?
oops, I didn't even notice that. My bad.:bangwall::zdunno:

I saw it brought up somewhere and I went to it with out looking at the dates.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no idea, but I'm willing to play along...now if the ORIGINAL forums and the bizarre 2nd generation forums (right before these) where available to view, THAT would sure be interesting (I know I've said this a million times)

but it would.

Seriously.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I like ancient thread revivals. TCCOA ftw.
I had a look in the acronym list, and didn't find FTW. Back when I was in high school, it had a rather negative meaning. "* The World" What do you guys use it to state?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts