1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Set up:

88-96 PBR Corvette caliper and brackets
88-96 Corvette brake pads
13" Cobra rotors (drilled to 4.25 bolt pattern)
Have to have 17" or higher rims

Modify:

Open the spindle to bracket holes a couple millimeters (used a round file) so that the new bracket bolts will fit.

You need to buy new bracket bolts, you can't use the GM supplied Corvette bolts because they are too long. Metric hex bolts, steel grade 14mm x 2.0 (do not use cheapo bolts).

On the passengers side you will have to remove the brake line and grind one side of the Banjo block down so both sides match before it will fit on the caliper.

Banjo bolts and crush washers from the Mustang Cobra or Corvette on your stock brake hoses.

See link for more info and pictures:

http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/brake_upgrade/brake_upgrade.htm

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
I'm a little confused. What's the advantage of doing this over the mustang twin-piston PBRs on 13" rotors? It seems like the same exact work for either one. Are the corvette parts cheaper than the mustang ones or something?

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
I amd wondering the same thing. The parts look identical.

Zero

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a little confused. What's the advantage of doing this over the mustang twin-piston PBRs on 13" rotors? It seems like the same exact work for either one. Are the corvette parts cheaper than the mustang ones or something?
I amd wondering the same thing. The parts look identical.

Zero
Yes basically the same thing, a lot of guys didn't know that the 88-96 Corvette calipers are the same. So if you can get a hold of a pair cheaper then the Cobra then it's all gravy. I got my pair for only $40 on ebay when all the Cobras where going for $100++ more for used crapy ones.

what kind of bolts are those, they don't look grade 8
Those are cheapo bolts, I do not have them on my car anymore, I have "Grade-A" steel bolts in place now.

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
So how much did the 13" brake upgrade cost you with everything?

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Calipers-brackets $40
Rotors $120
Bracket bolts $5
pads $90
Ed conversion kit with hub rings $100
Rotors drilled $10
Banjo bolts and crush washers $25?
Caliper pins with "C" clips $5

Around $400 after parts were shipped

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
Do you order pads for a corvette or a mustang cobra? Or does it not matter?

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
Do you know the size on the hub-centric rings? Sorry to be asking so many questions, but suddenly the 13" brake swap looks a lot more do-able, so I just want to get all the info I can.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Cool, thanks for documenting that, I have one or two other vehicles that I want to do big brakes on, and I can substitute those if need be.

BTW I got my 10th anniversary calipers from a Ford/Motorcraft/FRPP seller online on a forum for 164 bucks a set, the black Mach I ones were even cheaper. I decided to go new. I wish I could find someone to drill mine for 10 bucks, they want 150 for the four to drill, I don't know if I want to risk doing it myself on brand new FRPP drilled and slotted rotors or not. I didn't get them from the person that sold parts here at the time, he didn't have them in stock, but hos price was close to the same, and I would have bought them from him since I had good dealings with him before.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Cool, thanks for documenting that, I have one or two other vehicles that I want to do big brakes on, and I can substitute those if need be.

BTW I got my 10th anniversary calipers from a Ford/Motorcraft/FRPP seller online on a forum for 164 bucks a set, the black Mach I ones were even cheaper. I decided to go new. I wish I could find someone to drill mine for 10 bucks, they want 150 for the four to drill, I don't know if I want to risk doing it myself on brand new FRPP drilled and slotted rotors or not. I didn't get them from the person that sold parts here at the time, he didn't have them in stock, but hos price was close to the same, and I would have bought them from him since I had good dealings with him before.
I bet this guy might be able to cut those holes cheaper.
http://www.geocities.com/stus_cobra/irs_machining.html

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
weird...

so are they after market parts that Ford and Chevy decided to buy for the mustang and corvette. cuz I'm surprised a Chevy part would even be even close to the same as a ford.... AND sorry but i just have to say.... BLASPHEMY!!!!!!! maybe I'm just an old fashion ford fan but the thought of these Chevy engineered parts being the only thing keeping my car from slamming into the car ahead of me at a stop, kind of disturbing. :D

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes Corvette and Mustang used the same PBR twin caliper.

I'd rather have a "Domestic" part on my car then a import.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
cross breeding= ewww!!
i hate those foxybody stangs with the crate chevy 350.. if you cant rely on the original manufacturer to give you what you want there is no need to have ANYTHING of that brand.. just my 0.2 :D

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
Are these calipers different than my 2000 Mustang GT PBRs?
Yes they are. The GT calipers work with 11" rotors, these work with 13".

1 - 20 of 26 Posts