TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 89 SC 5 speed engine swap into a 96 tbird? Is it basically a direct swap, or is there any modificatons that need to be made?

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
No blower?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
why ditch a good modular motor for a headgasket puking, snout ripping problem. Thats like taking a step back unless your talking about a 96 that has a 3.8 in it?

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,671 Posts
Long story made short - yes it will work. But there's some wiring changes that need to be done. Get a good schematic of the 96 and one from the 89. Do you have any of the harnesses from the 89 to go with the engine? Do you have good access to the car that the motor came out of?

And after the motor is in, you haveta think about what to do for a transmission if you haven't beefed it up yet. And then the rear end if you don't have an 8.8. And if the SC axles are heavier/beefier/stronger than the LX ones, you'll probably want those too just to be on the safe side. And don't forget the fuel pump. I know the LX and SC don't have the same pump.. and while your at it, might as well upgrade the pump to a good 255 unit.

Yes - there will be some mods to be done - mostly wiring though (atleast off the top of my head)

-Melon

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
melon. i may have to recruit you, this seems like the way i want to go with my car. it really doesnt seem very painless at all... now if i have an sc that i can rip the harness out of......?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts