TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At this very moment, I'm swapping out my '95 bird's rear stock .950" sway with one that I pulled from an '89 super coupe.
Although the SC bar is is larger in dia. , it is tubular as opposed to the solid stock bar.
While I have them both out, ya'll have any idea which one I should put back in.
( i know the tech art. says that the '89 is solid, but the one I have is hollow and only meas. 1.04")
Thanks for any ASAP help while my bird is in the air.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I put on 89 bars on my 94 lx and it made a HUGE difference...especially considering I got both bars shipped (two different people) for less than $100.

Combine those with lowering springs, new shocks, all new bushings, and all new arms...it's like a brand new car.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
The 89 bar that I bought was also hollow and measured at 1.08 I think (Jk89cat has it now). I question the acuracy of that article from the fact that it states a larger size in 96/97 for Sport cars which is stated in Ford literature but has been proven otherwise.

-Miller

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The 89-91 SC front bars were the same size (I actually used a 91 front and 89 rear).

89-91 front = 1.20''
92 front = 1.12"

89 rear = 1.10"
90 rear = 1.04"

I want to say our 94 bars are 1.04'' front and 0.96'' rear

·
8,239 Posts
we're putting a 89 sc front bar on a car that has NO front swaybar, i can't wait to drive a normal car again. Thing handles like a funny car dragster without it.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I put the rear '89 SC bar on.
Will drive it tomorrow to see if there's any apparent difference.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
After driving a couple of hours on a variety roads and at a great variety of speeds, I have to honestly say I can't feel any difference between the sway bars! Maybe my butt's numb.
At first I thought it was stiffer on bumpy roads, then I thought it was softer, then I thought it was the same, and then I lost feeling in my butt. I'm not used to thinking with my butt to evaluate a sway bar.
Same result with taking some of my favorite curves.
I think I'll keep it installed though, at least it's about 3lbs. lighter.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
well when i put the bar on the 92 i got frommiller i noticed a differance, its much better handling, but it could of been partially due to the NON sagged springs i also got from miller

·
Registered
825 Posts
After driving a couple of hours on a variety roads and at a great variety of speeds, I have to honestly say I can't feel any difference between the sway bars! Maybe my butt's numb.
At first I thought it was stiffer on bumpy roads, then I thought it was softer, then I thought it was the same, and then I lost feeling in my butt. I'm not used to thinking with my butt to evaluate a sway bar.
Same result with taking some of my favorite curves.
I think I'll keep it installed though, at least it's about 3lbs. lighter.
I would check some bushings when I put my rear 89 SC bar in it made the car have way less body roll. check you IRS bushings. and did you install new end links and sway bushings?

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank's for the suggestion dwinthrup, but I just switched all the IRS bushings to poly in January of last year. I take that back, I haven't replaced those big pad bushing things that fasten the whole IRS unit to the chassis.
Can you get those in poly?-- or would that be too stiff?

·
Registered
179 Posts
just need to slap on the 1.25 addco rear bar, went from a boat to a go-kart in 30 min! That is if you want to spend another $150.. , but hey I was unknowingly driving with a cracked rear bar for quite a long time, so I'm not sure what stock felt like lol

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
just need to slap on the 1.25 addco rear bar, went from a boat to a go-kart in 30 min! That is if you want to spend another $150.. , but hey I was unknowingly driving with a cracked rear bar for quite a long time, so I'm not sure what stock felt like lol
That's what I plan to do in the future mike884_2 since I did'nt see any difference between bars. But the sway bar was an unforseen distraction from my prime directive- which is getting that new DOHC out of my laundry room and connecting it to my gas pedal.
What happened was that a friend of mine has three super coupes that he wants to sell and/or part out. I wasn't interested, so I suggested that he post on TCCOA under the parts for sell area. Well, he got booted 'cause he's not a member and stuff. Then I got to thinking, Super Coupes have pretty groovey front seats, I better grab 'em before some of those fanatics at TCCOA do.( I didn't know he got the boot at the time.) Then I remembered that SC's had trac-loc 8.8's and bigger bars, and then I forgot about my prime directive and then I bought the seats and the bar and the diff.
Sooo- since my wallet was back on empty, I thought I throw that bar in-- then confusion set in, then I --- I better shut up now or I'll end up talking about my girl friend and stuff.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I have seen this too...some 89 SC's either on purpose or by mistake got tubular rear bars. I've gotten them out of 2 parts cars that way, and both were obviously original.

They belong in the dumpster.

John

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I have seen this too...some 89 SC's either on purpose or by mistake got tubular rear bars. I've gotten them out of 2 parts cars that way, and both were obviously original.

They belong in the dumpster.

John
Why do they belong in a dumpster? Do you know anything the mechanics of a beam? The OD has more to do with the rigidity of the bar then if it is solid or not. It's all about the area moment of inertia of the beam's cross section, otherwise known as I in beam mechanics.

-Miller

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Why do they belong in a dumpster? Do you know anything the mechanics of a beam? The OD has more to do with the rigidity of the bar then if it is solid or not. It's all about the area moment of inertia of the beam's cross section, otherwise known as I in beam mechanics.

-Miller
Ha ha ha...oh but I do. Here's what I know. Let's assume that the wall thickness of this sway bar is .120. That would be fairly typical, and it pretty close to what I measured on one of the bars I cut up. That would mean that the effective rate of that hollow bar would be roughly 63% of that of the solid bar. In other terms, it has a rate equal to that of a .94" diameter solid bar, and thus why it belongs in the dumpster.

These calculations assume these bars are made from the same materials, and have the same shape.

Have a nice day.

John

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Ha ha ha...oh but I do. Here's what I know. Let's assume that the wall thickness of this sway bar is .120. That would be fairly typical, and it pretty close to what I measured on one of the bars I cut up. That would mean that the effective rate of that hollow bar would be roughly 63% of that of the solid bar. In other terms, it has a rate equal to that of a .94" diameter solid bar, and thus why it belongs in the dumpster.

These calculations assume these bars are made from the same materials, and have the same shape.

Have a nice day.

John
Wrong.

For .94 solid bar:

I = (Pi)*R^4*.25 = 3.14*(.47)^4*.25 = .0384

For 1.08 hollow bar using .125 wall thickness (t):

I= (Pi)*R^3*t = 3.14*(.54)^3*.125 = .0616

.0616/.0384 = 1.60

Hollow bar is 60% stiffer. Thank you and have a nice day.

-Miller

1 - 20 of 47 Posts