TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at picking up an XR7. There's one in town (95) that looks pretty nice, but it has 91,000 miles on the motor. I'm curious how many miles these engines can typically own before you start getting in the "danger zone" and risking expensive repairs.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx guys.

=X=

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
the engines can take 300k+ if taken care of...transmissions are a different story. TC shudder is the most popular problem in the 95.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 1997 T-Bird with a 4.6 and it has 105000 and I have only had to replace the MAF but that doesn't have anything to do with the engine itself. My brother ls_cougar has a 1993 cougar with a 3.8 and it has 114000 and he is not having any poblems. If you keep your fluids changed and take good care of it, it will last you a long time.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
124K and still running like the day I bought her (80K...very good) but a little faster of course

Joe

·
Registered
635 Posts
110000 here.......replaced maf once cause too much water got in it from deep water here in lubbock. otherwise, flawless

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome! I was hoping oyu all would say that. Car's going for like $3500. I think I'll pick it up. Thanx for all the help! I'll be back here once I get it! : )

=X=

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
that's a pretty good price. i picked my 94 up for 5K (taxes, licesning, etc) back in feb 02 w/80K and no rust.

Joe

·
Registered
694 Posts
By god. I got 97,000 on mine and it's still a beast. Engine is strong as the day it came off the assembly line lol. Just change oil every 3000 and fluids checked and your golden man.

·
Registered
488 Posts
the retail on mn12's is very low

but i think that is a good thing, since you wont NEED to get rid of it

so buy it cheap, and keep it forever! i think they are tbe best bang for the buck too, performance, a touch of luxury, and problem free

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
My tranny is up to 144k. I put a different engine in though. Nothing wrong with the one I pulled at all, i just got a little more power :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
204k on the 95 and 207k miles on the 96, just needed new tc's. Both cars still run excellent! These really are great durable cars, Yay mn12! :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
Eh,

My car has 177k miles on it (I think, somewhere around there) and the only thing that was a major problem was rotars warpning and the transmission would slip back when we first got it (The drive stick in the console was bad, 5$ replacement) it was actually kind of fun, you'd be driving down the highway at 80mph and it would go in neutral and your rpm would fly up then the car shaking because of the rpm would make it pop back into drive and it would squeal the tires really bad.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
92k and in its prime..at 91 the engines just breaking in.....with the F4 type npi heads tho the car prolly has seals in the heads that may go bad soon.....or.....are bad....thats the only thing.....means oil consumption is about a quart every month and a half b/c it burns a little extra oil....but for 3500 go and buy it they last for ever...the trannies when taking very good care of hold up..but there are some bad apples in the bunch.....try and find out the service history and what has been done as to know how long it will hold up and what condion its actaully in

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
As long as that car's been taken care of, it should be a great buy. I've never been one to put much stock in a car's mileage over its maintenance, but that's just me. I got my bird with 70K on her for that same price, and the only problem i've had with it is of course TC shudder! Sheesh. But back to topic, good deal, should be a great car and you'll definitely enjoy it!

·
Registered
56 Posts
sounds like a good deal to me. from my experience, after you
have the valve seals replaced, if it hasnt been done, it prob
needs it. put a shift kit in the tranny and mercon V fluid, and
drive it forever.
just my .02
im gonna try for 400k on mine, love my bird

Frank

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
xrated said:
....I'm curious how many miles these engines can typically own before you start getting in the "danger zone" and risking expensive repairs......

=X=
Welcome to the forums.

There's a few of us who have over 250,000 on these cars (mine's at 252,060). As long as you stay on top of the maintenance, they'll go for a long time. The only "big" work I've had performed involved the transmission 21 months ago. Shortly afterwards, I installed a cooler, did the "J-mod" and switched fluids (based on recommendations I read about on this site).

There's been a number of other repairs that I've completed, but, to me, they are maintenance, rather than major work. A car with over 200,000 miles on it simply will need new stuff once in a while. Plus, I didn't start upgrading things on my car until about 2 years ago, when I first visited this site, and there was over 165,000 miles on the car at that time.

This site has a lot of good information, suggestions, and how-to instructions. Anytime you have a question, try a search, and see what the results are, and feel free to ask for additional assistance.

Good luck to you! :thumbsup:

--Pete

1 - 20 of 20 Posts