TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a '91 5.0/HO/AOD into a '65 Ranchero and everything is working fine except I get gas odors from the outside of the filler neck, at the cap. I have the fuel canister hooked up but the valve only opens at about 2k and above rpm. From what I have read it should be open at all times when operating temp is at normal. Cold KOEO voltage on the grey/yellow wire is .33 and warm reads .11 with the connector disconnected. I drive this mostly at low speeds and so it appears that the valve only opens ocassionally leaving a build up of fumes in the tank and venting through the cap. When the valve does open it cycles very rapidly instead of an on/off situation. I have considered wiring valve to KO source but would rather have it run through computer as it should. Appreciate any input or insight. Thanks, b\o

·
Registered
620 Posts
i dont beleive that that vavle is designed to take a full 12+ batt volts,are u running a vented or nonvented cap?
mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem turned out to be a defective gas cap that is original to the '65 Ranchero. There is a brass stamping that puts pressure on the gasket between the cap and the filler neck that was cracked and allowing fumes to escape. This became obvious when the tank was close to full and I would back into the garage and stop the gas would actually run down the fender. These caps are very difficult to find (one currently on Ebay for $185) and I was able to purchase one from an early Mustang and salvage the brass stamping as well as the two way valve in the cap that allows high pressure to escape as well as allow air to enter as the fuel level drops. I replaced the valve on the carbon canister and all seems to be working now. b\o

1 - 3 of 3 Posts