TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any specs on the 91-93 302 engines in the TBIRDS? what are the cranks and rods and pistons made out of? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
cast cast and cast till 92 and 93 had hyper's

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so if i were to get a 92-93 5.0 i can get away with HYPER pistons right? I also heard that the rods were FORGED for those years? this true?

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
93 only had hypers, what are you doing with the engine?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am planning on having it well built because i am going to be dropping in one of those KENNE BELLE blower kits for the 5.0's

i just wanted some info, so i can justify in spending the extra money on forged stuff!

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
well you dont want anything stock anyway you should look at stroking this engine , its cheaper now than doing a stock overhaul .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Rods

The stock rods are forged, but they are not something you'd want to go beyond 350 HP or so with. They have 5/16" bolts which typically are the weak link. I've seen them go higher (in power level) but when they fail they take out everything. We've run 'em in a round-e-round class for a while and we're making 325 HP but when we tear the engine down for a freshining the rods require rework, granted we're running 'em at 6500 RPM for an extended period of time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts