TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 91 explorer is having starting problems. heres a wiring diagram from autozone....under 91 4.0 ...http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0b/a9/c7/0900823d800ba9c7/repairInfoPages.htm

new starter and new solenoid. I belive its a cable problem and ive replaced an eye on the positive end leading to the starter where some corrosion is. The starter engauges the flywheel but does not turn instead it just keeps engaging and disengaging over and over very quickly even when you jump the solenoid?? The battery cables are a Little corroded???

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
You just have to hate ford battery cables. That sounds like the positive cable is failing. Replace the positive cables (from battery to solenoid and from solenoid to starter). My exploder did exactly the same thing.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
On those there is a second solenoid on the starter itself that throws the starter gear instead of the mechanical linkage like on the old 2.9 starters. So that is one more thing you can check to make sure it is functioning properly and the connections are good. And yes, I have had one go bad before.

-Rob

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah actually the starter is a yr old and I had a new one around that i checked with the same outcome. I cleaned up the com3ections a little and after fixing the eye it starts now but my voltage gauge is reading low I may have a short somewhere. I plan to replace the cables looks like there long due

1 - 4 of 4 Posts