TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://redding.craigslist.org/cto/2867440665.html

Looks to be in good shape, cant see the whole car. Seems to be treated well given the condition of the interior. I wonder what 'needs some work' means, could be anything from broken AC to head gaskets, I sent the seller an email.

I figure its worth that price even if the head gaskets are blown. I could either revive the SC, or put its interior and manual trans in the 'bird in my signature. Part of me thinks I should get rid of my bird because its a glutton but I've put so much time and work into it and I'm pretty connected to it. I started a new job today and pretty soon I will have room enough to have 3 cars, hmm.... :confused:

What do you guys think about that car? What do you guys think I should do?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Ide say go for it. Tweed interior, 5spd, nice body from the pic.. Looks like a good bit of advantages.. Who knows.. Maybe it only needs a new tire & a battery? Lol

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Hey!! When I first moved up here I drove by that a couple times while exploring and always pointed it out to my wife. What I could see it looked like it was in good condition.

If money wasn't so tight I'd go buy it tomorrow.

If you go ahead and buy it give me a PM, we could meet up and go get lunch/dinner.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ide say go for it. Tweed interior, 5spd, nice body from the pic.. Looks like a good bit of advantages.. Who knows.. Maybe it only needs a new tire & a battery? Lol
Hey!! When I first moved up here I drove by that a couple times while exploring and always pointed it out to my wife. What I could see it looked like it was in good condition.

If money wasn't so tight I'd go buy it tomorrow.

If you go ahead and buy it give me a PM, we could meet up and go get lunch/dinner.
Sweet, I sent them an email, lets see if they get back to me. :)

I just don't know what I would do with the car I already have...

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
That's not a deal it's a steal! I love that interior (specifically seats) is what I've always wanted for my 97. The one time I saw that interior in the junkyard it was in perfect shape and I was broke. A day later I went back and they were gone.

·
Super Moderator
16,819 Posts
Yeah the tweed interior is the ****. I'd have probably sold my car 5 years ago if I didn't have my own set in there :tongue:

Definitely worth the price in parts alone, hell the car is worth it as a car since it's a California car that even looks to have good non faded paint (always boggled that anyone in the non rust belt states sell/junk cars just because they're old and have miles on them. Body/interior condition > mechanical condition). Much more worthwhile to fix than donate parts to the 89 base.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Worst case, rod knock, cracked oil pan, busted motor mounts, blown head gasket, or knocking supercharger .. wait .. thats a lot of problems. ;)

I know you have a lot of sentimental value in the 89 .. but a 5 speed SC can be a lot of fun to drive. :D

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Worst case, rod knock, cracked oil pan, busted motor mounts, blown head gasket, or knocking supercharger .. wait .. thats a lot of problems. ;)

I know you have a lot of sentimental value in the 89 .. but a 5 speed SC can be a lot of fun to drive. :D
Thats what my dad is trying to convince me. Hes like "why put a 5 speed and LSD and all of this stuff in yours when your frame is tweaked and it keeps getting more fubared..."

Would my exhaust system (cats and everything) fit on the SC?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I would grab it at that price and bring it back to life. But it would cost me just as much as I would be paying for the car as it would be to get it back to Chicago

·
Registered
652 Posts
Looks to be a good looking car.

I would ask for a few pics of the rear though. It wouldnt surprise if it was a 92. 89-91 had a grey gauge surround, and in 92 up was black. it may have been swapped. I didnt know that tweed interior was available in 89-91 SCs.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Kenosha + GFX = Rot box.
I called about it just for kicks and the car said it was garaged in winters and had no rust. I didn't go check it out, but most people aren't fans of letting you unscrew anything to check for rust

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks to be a good looking car.

I would ask for a few pics of the rear though. It wouldnt surprise if it was a 92. 89-91 had a grey gauge surround, and in 92 up was black. it may have been swapped. I didnt know that tweed interior was available in 89-91 SCs.
My 1989 has a black gauge surround... :confused:

·
Registered
652 Posts
My 1989 has a black gauge surround... :confused:
89-91 SCs had the grey surround. LX tbirds were all black from 89-97.

its very common for someone to swap it out, the grey one just looks like crap and doesnt make anything else inside of car.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Some 90 and most 91 SCs have the black surrounds. There was no consistent changeover. I've never seen a 3 gauge base cluster with anything but grey surrounds.
same here. i have never seen a 89-91 sc with a black surround, only grey.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Connor - Most of your exhaust should bolt up, I cant say 100% for sure if it will bolt up to your manifolds, but they are VERY similar, if not the same arrangement ( 90* on the drivers side, angled on the passenger ) .. the 5 speed SCs came with only 2 cats and a large resonator, where the autos may have 3 catalytic converters. Why is this a concern for you ?

On the gauge surround, I have seen the black trim on my buddys Richards 1990 Anniversary SC if you remember him from a TPS car show a few years ago, but we swapped to a later model gauge cluster later, slight modification to make it fit. He flipped out when he found a 200 mph factory speedo in a junked 90 SC but it turned out to be a Canadian car in KPH instead. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts