TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Distortion here, back with more suspension questions.

I recently changed my Upper control arms (and subsequently my ball joints) on my 91 T-bird (5.0) in an attempt to alieviate the Clonking I was experiancing while turning.
And though it appears that a great deal of the problem has been cured, the constant rattleing still remains, and there is still a much milder clonk which can be heard.

I am assuming now that the rattle is being caused by the shocks.
I have determined that the squeak Ive been hearing while turning is from the Sway Bar Stabilizer, not the tie rod ends. Is it likely that this is the source of my clunk/clonk as well? I doubt it is causing the rattle. the rattle is the distinctive shock sound which eventually spreads to the windshield once it has loosened it.

My main questions are this;

Aside from the upper ball joints, what can cause this clonking?
Is it likely that my shocks are causing the rattle?
If so, can I change them without a spring compressor?

As allways, any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, just read the sticky at the top of the page. And while all that sounds real useful, a tiny hint in the right direction would be helpful. I've already put 200 in the parts I've bought and frankly, I'll drive it off a cliff before I change ALL that stuff trying to track down this one clonk.

Mine does it when I
A: Turn all the way either left or right, clunks just before end or radius;
B: During a hard stop, and sometimes when I gas really hard;
C: Mostly, you are guaranteed a clonk if you are braking or accelerating while turning.
D:Also, During a VERY HARD jerk to the left, the sound can be heard AND FELT.
So I don't mean to be rude, but before I go replacing every part in my suspension and tightening every bolt (not that that is a bad idea) maybe some people with a little experience in this way could hint me towards the right way?

If it helps, I am sure the sound is from the front end,
and I am experiencing some mild wobble during braking, even though the rotors and pads are brand new (present before also); and there is also a bit of undesired vibration between 70-85 while on the highway.
Don't know if these issues can even be related, but I figure the info is helpful if they can infact be part of the same problem.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After reading all of those posts, I think Im worse off than before. Not only am I sick to my stomache after hearing how many people have dumped THOUSANDS into this problem, but Im also pretty disgusted that I bought this car with this kind of problem, and that I deliver pizza for a living, so what you guys call "Odd driveway approaches" I call "A days work". So I'm willing to bet I exercise the clonk muscle 100x as much as any of you would in a normal day.
I hear it ALOT when I turn into a steep driveway off of a smooth road.

But after reading all that, I really don't think there is anything any of you could say that would even mildly re-assure me.

So I guess Im gonna tigthen all that crap you guys mentioned, replace the other stuff after that, check all these things (including the HOOD!!!???!!!??!111) and I bet I STILL wont fix it (judging from experiences of others).

This whole thing is making me wonder if I should have test driven that Camero they had before I bought this Damn thing.

Ugh. Im probably gonna hurl in a minute.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts