TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Extremely odd problem. I thought it was a problem of letting the car sit over the weekend or it being too cold out.

Go out, hit the key and one of two things... it either fires right up or just keeps cranking over with almost loud bangs ? I mean it fires HARD and shakes the whole car! That's if you can get it to keep firing. Sometimes I have to hold the gas pedal to the floor to get it to fire. Once it starts sputtering I can let off the pedal and sometimes it starts running with the car shaking violently. Then with it running I can floor it and let back off and it runs nice and smooth like nothing ever happened!

Sometimes it will go days or even a week without doing this. It doesn't really have too much regard to how cold it is out but does it anywhere under 40 deg.

When it's nice and warm out it starts great but about a mile or two down the road it starts chugging or sputtering violently so again I floor it and try to keep it running. Eventually after about 30 sec to a min it gradually stops sputtering and starts running normal again.

If I had to guess from back in the carb days it acts like it's flooding out?

I know in a old van I had when it would get flooded you'd have to open the choke and press the pedal to the floor and crank it to dry out all the old gas. Once it fired you knew the plugs had dried and you could gently nudge the choke to drawl in some gas.

Anyhow once the car has been initially started for the day it's fine all day long untill that next morning then you either get a normal car or play the crank er for 10 minutes and hope it starts.

Any suggestions as to how to overcome this strange behavior?

·
Registered
674 Posts
You might try cleaning your Mass Air Flow meter (MAF) theres an article in the tech article section on how to do it. If that doesnt help, maybe a leaky injector? Is indeed odd.

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
Could also be a bad IAC.

Joe

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cleaned MAF thou I couldn't find the article in tcccoa.

Also put some 89 octane gas in it since it dropped below $3.

Two days in a row started right up, only time will tell. May try other suggestions if these don't pan out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts