TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well first off i know the motor will fit. We will have a donar car that runs. i know we will need the wiring harness and and computer. but what about the stuff to the gauges both cars have the regular cluster with out tack, i guess both cars are base models in that case is there anything that will be hard to swap thanks let me know. all info needed thanks

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,671 Posts
First off, yes - it's completely possible since you could get a 5.0 in a 1991-93 Thunderbird/Cougar.

Second - good to have a whole donor car. Means you have access to everything that you may need without worrying about someone else taking something. But why pull the 5.0 out of that one when it runs, and put it in the 92?

Third - Clusters: If both cars have the same clusters, then I wouldn't worry too much about that. But after you get the engine swapped, make sure the cluster does work before you get rid of anything from the donor - just in case something in the instrument cluster wiring was different between cars.

Hope it helps and I'm fairly certain someone else will throw in their 2 cents as well.

-Andy "Melon"

·
Registered
773 Posts
When I swaped the 5.0 into my Wife 91. the donor car was a 93. it was a drop in changed the main wiring harness, powersteering hoses,ac hoses,little vaccum canister on passanger side fender/frame rail, put in the 5.0 puter it was plug nplay execpt for 1 wire for the temp gauge.

91 had base gauges
93 had digtal gauges
so I had to swap out oil pressur sending unit witch you wont have to do since both yours are bace gauges.
\I also am still running the V6 tranny and 7.5 rear end I figure I will run them till they start to give me problems then ill swap them out for the V8 tranny and a super coupe 3.27 8.8.
The swap took a weekend but that didnt include stripping the other car at the wreaking yard! that took a day too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
does anyyone have a tech article i can print off this ?

im doing a 91 rusted out 5.0 swap into my immaculat blown up 93 3.8

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah, im in the same position. Im thinking about buying a 5.0 engine from a guy. The body and the interior are all crappy. The engine is in great conidition though. Otherwise id sell my 3.8 and get that.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Didn't See a tech artcle on it you dont realy need one its pretty much bolt in. Just grab every thing relatrd to the 5.0.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts